Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC-sold for 2006 GTO
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a powerful stereo in my Eldo, and I've been having problems starting the car ever since the stereo has been installed. I checked with my mechanic, he said the battery is good (one year old Optima Yellow Top) and that the alternator is charging. He thinks that since my car is taking so much power that the alternator can't keep up. So I'm trying to find a high power alternator. So does anyone know where I could find one?

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Can someone explain caps and why a "1.0" would be better than a "2.5" and what these numbers mean? Just curious and pretty new to the world of car audio.

How many amps does the factory alternator put out? Powermaster makes some GM style alts that are pretty high up there. I'm getting one of their 140 amps

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not positive on this, but isn't it the more farads the better becaus the more stored power. The factory alternator in my Eldo is 140 amp, but I need more.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Same with my 97 and i was pushin a 2000 watt us amp to push 3 jl audio 12 w 6's with a 1.0 cap. I have the stock alt and stock ac delco battery. How many watts are u pushing?

·
Registered
1992 STS (4.9L, Black on Black)
306 Posts
Changing the CAP would make no difference at all since it does not consume any power, it just is able to try to maintain a consistant voltage in your system.

I think my 92 STS has a 200 amp alternator (heated windshield, seats etc). You could you swap your 140 out for a 200?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lets see, I have a 600 watt sub amp, 300 watts total for the speaker amp, plus the in-dash DVD with monitor. Add this to all the electronic stuff the Eldo has already, and thats a lot of power for a stock alternator to have. And as to the swapping the 140 out for the 200, I'll look into that. That just might work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
check out www.excessiveamperage.com They will make you a custom amp with the best materials.

I was quoted "
I can custom build you a 200 amp alternator for $340 shipped in the U.S"

for my 1999 seville sts.

e-mail him and he will be able to get you an exact price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
chris203 said:
Lets see, I have a 600 watt sub amp, 300 watts total for the speaker amp, plus the in-dash DVD with monitor. Add this to all the electronic stuff the Eldo has already, and thats a lot of power for a stock alternator to have. And as to the swapping the 140 out for the 200, I'll look into that. That just might work.
Sounds more like you have a starter problem than an alternator problem. That's not all that powerful as car stereos go and the stock unit should be able to handle it. What exactly are your symptoms?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My symptoms are that basically everytime I start the car, it starts slow, sometimes barely at all. This morning, it wouldn't start at all, it jus started really slow, slow enough that the car wouldn't start.

·
Registered
94 sls
235 Posts
sounds like definate starter problem. If your battery tested fine and your starting is still slow then its the starter. Alternators do nothing at startup for power. If you really think its the amps then just drive the car without using them for once and see how it acts at the next startup. I wouldnt have all the equipment on at startup though. Charging up the cap and powering start up things for the car would be rough on the battery

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have my mechanic check the starter, but I'm pretty sure its ok, because I checked the battery voltage through the DIC tonight, and it said 8 volts. I'm charging it up tonight and I'll see how it is. I dunno, maybe it might jus be the battery is failing prematurely.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
try shutting off your system along with your drls and let your car run for maybe a minute before you shut it off. if its a recharge problem then itll not charge it up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
so does anyone know a place to find the stock alternator size for cadillacs?

im looking for the stock size of a 1999 seville sts. anyone know?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
its unique if your thinkin about swappin it out. Northstar 4.6 can only swap parts (and few at that) with the 4.0 N*

·
Registered
86 Posts
chris203 said:
I'll have my mechanic check the starter, but I'm pretty sure its ok, because I checked the battery voltage through the DIC tonight, and it said 8 volts. I'm charging it up tonight and I'll see how it is. I dunno, maybe it might jus be the battery is failing prematurely.
Starters can be pretty tricky to diagnose and the location makes it tough to get to to check it out. If the battery is charged up and the alternator is putting out the correct amperage at idle, then I would definitely look at cables and starter as the culprit. Corroded cables can also cause a starter to spin slow. Like someone else mentioned, the best thing to do is disconnect the amps (I assume you have a power wire going directly to the battery) and then drive it like normal and see if the symptoms change. Let us know any more details as they develop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts