Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 CTS-V, 2001 STS, 2007 STS V8
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to replace my steering wheel with a woodgrain one i bought. I have no idea how to even start.I know theres a couple screws undernieth and 2 in the back. anyone know?

·
Registered
1992 STS (4.9L, Black on Black)
306 Posts
The first step and most important is to remove SAFELY the airbag. Incorrect removal of airbags can cause serious harm. Please do a search for airbag removal. It will include disconnecting the batter and letting the car sit for at least 15 minutes, making sure not to have any static buildup etc.

Usually there are 4 bolts on the back of the steeringwheel that will release the airbag. Once the airbag is removed you will see one main bolt that holds on the steering wheel (under where the airbag was). You will need to undo this bolt and then use a puller to pull off the steering wheel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i can see, there are only two star screws behind the steering wheel. i took those out...but that only lets the back plastic piece wiggle. I'll search on how to remove the air bag. oh, this is in the 2000 seville..

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
I just removed the air bag on my daughters '99 SLS to replace one of the steering wheel switches. You do not need the "special tool". It can be done with a flat bladed screw driver one at a time. BE SURE TO PULL THE AIR BAG FUSE FROM THE FUSE BLOCK UNDER THE REAR SEAT FIRST.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Trench for those pdfs .....I got it off and the new one on. Looks awesome! mmm, wood! lol....yeah i didn't use the tool either. Ranger , your daughter and you have both have an sls?...right on! Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
starfox86 said:
Ranger , your daughter and you have both have an sls?...right on!
Yeah, I had a '97 Deville and she had a Ford "Snarus" (first car after college). It was just over 100K and starting to have issues so we started looking. Being a Caddy man, I naturally looked that way but she wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of a "granny car". I found a '99 SLS with 23K on it. We looked at it and she, somewhat reluctantly negotiated a very good price (made the ole man proud). The rest is history. One day she was getting on the expressway and some Mustang was trying to ace her out. Well, she kicked the ole Northstar in the ass and dusted him off. She immediately called me and when I answered the phone she said "Dad, I love this car". I think I have a convert. Well, the more I saw it, the more I liked it and I started looking. I found my '02 with 13K on it in Canton OH. via the internet (something I never thought I'd do). Called the dealer, made and offer and the next day I was airborne. And then there were two.Now I have to start working on daughter number two.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Is pulling that fuse for the airbag sufficient to disable the SIR's system? if all i need is a flat headed screw driver to remove the steering wheel i might take a stab at it one of these days to replace my buttons and steering wheel.

I assumed i needed that special tool since I also needed for my buick.

thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
This applies to my 97 STS, a late production date:

I replaced my steering wheel from an 02 Eldo several months ago. Purchased it on eBay for a bill. Gentleman was out of Canada. Was in mint condition.

Rented a puller from a local Murphy's Auto Parts. Pretty straight forward. R&R air bag. Pull wheel. Install.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are capactitors inside the SDM that store reserve energy to ignite the bags in the event of a collision with a loss of voltage.
Disconnecting the battery and pulling the fuse allows this stored voltage to dissipate.

It would still require a very unlikely set of circumstances to deploy the bag regardless, but you should always follow published safety procedures while servicing airbag related components.
I have handled thousands of them without incident. I have heard many horror stories but never seen any "accidents" first hand.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
I FORGOT TO MENTION....DISCONNECT BATTERY and FUSE as ewill3rd has stated. Also, when handling air bag, treat it like a LOADED GUN. Face it away from you during your limited transport. Set it down in an open area.

Do not sit in the front seat (facing bag) while re-installing...secure those bolts from the side of the steering wheel assembly. Run your codes when installed, sitting on the passenger side.

Should be gravy. Let us know how it turned out. Cheers!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Technically you are supposed to disconnect the connector at the base of the column for the driver's side and the connector under the dash on the right side as well as unhooking the battery and pulling the fuse.
In the event of something happening to the harness.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah.....saying I didn't use the tool did'nt mean it was easy....lol....It was thanksgiving day I replaced it and forgeting that stores were closed I couldn't get the puller...I ended up drilling 1/4 holes in the old steering wheel around the middle till it broke off..then, I yanked it off with some vise grips. (never want to do it again)....I had somewhere to go that night..so I had to get it done. I do not have a working horn now although I am not concerned about it. never used it anyways... I took the negitive and positive off of the battery and nothing went wrong. I noticed when I took the rear seat off that there was about 5 bucks worth of change in it. lol.

Ranger..about the second daughter, give the one that has the 99' your 02' and give the 99' to the other daughter. and you get yourself a deserved 05' cadillac. cts-v :) gotta love em'

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
I've done this more than once. I've got a steering wheel removal kit and a huge ass torque wrench (so uselfull!). Just disconnect that neg battery cable first. Don't want that airbag blowing up in your face.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
starfox86 said:
yeah.....saying I didn't use the tool did'nt mean it was easy....lol....It was thanksgiving day I replaced it and forgeting that stores were closed I couldn't get the puller...I ended up drilling 1/4 holes in the old steering wheel around the middle till it broke off..then, I yanked it off with some vise grips. (never want to do it again)....I had somewhere to go that night..so I had to get it done. I do not have a working horn now although I am not concerned about it. never used it anyways... I took the negitive and positive off of the battery and nothing went wrong. I noticed when I took the rear seat off that there was about 5 bucks worth of change in it. lol.
I have removed airbags from many different vehicles, but am still a lilttle nervous about doing it.

If you were not going to save the old wheel, you could have used a deadblow hammer to the back side of the spokes. Saves on drilling!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts