Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who bought and used a car cover for his V?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual
404 Posts
I have used them in the past. I use an indoor cover for my vette but would never use an outside cover again. I used to have Noah cover that I used before I had a garage to put my 2002 Navy Blue Z28 in. I'm fanatical with detailing and I had spent several days detailing it and then covering it. It was perfect when covered with no swirls. The cover was tight and tied underneath. We had some wind that week but nothing too serious. When I took the cover off a week later there were swirls and micro scratches throughout the paint. That was the last time I used an outdoor cover. If you have a light colored car you may not notice but I'd be careful with outdoor covers and dark cars. Wind will make the cover flap and that flapping can cause swirls.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I used them for several years on several cars with general success. A few suggestions; do not ever cover a dirty car. The car must be perfectly clean. Otherwise the car cover becomes sandpaper. If you do cover a dirty car, then after you polish out all of the scratches, throw away the car cover.

Do not leave a covered car in an area where it will get exposed to wind. I am lucky in that my back yard is quite well protected from wind.

A downside of covering a car is that even if you have a high quality cover (I used NOAH covers), some moisture is retained. Even if your car is completely dry when covered, moisture from rain or snow (even moist air) will cause some rust on your rotors and other parts. This was more noticeable on my covered GM cars than my covered Ford (yeah that will get me flamed, I'm sure).

IMO if you can follow the rules above, covering is better than leaving it uncovered...but it's not a substitute for a garage. I no longer use covers because I built a 3 car garage :yup:

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
I keep my V covered in the garage just to protect it from dust, and (attempt to) keep it clean.

·
Registered
2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's why I ask. Whenever I buy a car, which is much too frequently, I always buy a custom fit car cover. I did the same for my 2011 V coupe. Having sold that vehicle, I'm amazed that there has beem absolutely zero interest on purchasing it from me, here or on other venues. Perhaps most V Coupe owners are CEOs who either drive something else daily or everyone has covered parking? I'm just astounded that I've had it advertised on multiple locations for almost a year without so much as a bite. Wow!

·
Registered
'11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1
334 Posts
No covers for me, all my cars are black & the above mentioned reasons hold true in regards to dirt/scratching. I just park them in the shop uncovered, even for the entire winter storage season.

·
Registered
'06 Black Raven CTS-V
168 Posts
I live in a townhouse community and all parking is outdoors. I have to get a car cover because its getting to be close to 95 degrees here now in south Florida and this heat is beating on the car. What do you guys suggest? 2006 black raven V

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe
220 Posts
I use the two cover theory. A VERY soft one for the first one, and a VERY heavy-duty one for the second one.
I used this same theory for my Z06 and it still looked great 4 years after I brought her home from the showroom.
Unfortunately, my wife purchased our home many years ago with her first husband and the "garage" was already converted into a bedroom at the original build.
The floor was never built to withstand the weight of a car, so it cannot be "converted" back to a garage.
So the cars must sit outside in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of rain and a little snow.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
I have used car covers, generally Calif Car Covers with the soft cotton lining, for about 30 years now.
On my '09 V2 I use a Cover Craft stretch cover.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I purchased a Cadillac car cover for my car, and even though I park it in a garage. I only use it immediately after I have washed it and when I am not planning to drive the V for a few days. The primary reason I purchased was to protect the car from my little boy. He rushes from the garage on his bike and has put two gouges in the paint of my car. :(. I wrote about it here, and shortly after, purchased the cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts