Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Cadillac Technician
none
11,053 Posts
Well being new here and all...

I hear stuff about GM and Cadi bashing all day every day.
It seems so sad to me that people don't understand the nature of the automotive business. People base their opinions about an entire car company based on a few problems that they have with one car. As a technician I can tell you that no car is perfect and yes some systems are prone to failure. Carmakers do the best they can to make sure that any production problems are addressed and that their customers are satisfied.
There are so many of these "independent one-car studies" that there is no way you can try to defend carmakers in each case. Being behind the wrenches would give you the impression that ANY car out there is junk. Some people seem to think that Euro carmaker chains don't have any technicians, but they sure do, those guys live pretty good too.

My personal opinion is that GM does have some problems overall, but not really with the product. The REAL problem is that most people's expectation of what a car is has changed so much over the years that I don't believe any automaker can meet it.

I think people like to base an opinion on weak data and run with it, that's what I see going on here. I don't have an issue with dissenting opinions, just gross generalization. The really sad part is that GM outsources almost all it's parts. They get bids from manufacturers to assemble modules or other components, then the assembly plants put it all together. Then because of a manufacturing issue from one subcontractor people run around condeming the whole corporation. Seems pretty silly.

That's like saying that Wal Mart sucks because you bought a bad extention cord there once.

I also hear a lot of shouting about "how much" people paid for their cars, like that makes a difference in the quality. What you are really paying for is features. The components in many cases are still the same, but the packaging is different. It's become a game of gadgets, you want more, you pay more. That doesn't mean that they are impervious to failure, quite the opposite, it just means there are MORE OF THEM. That compounds the problem actually. Where is the logic in assuming that Chevrolet doesn't care about their products so they push junk out the door, and Cadillac does care so they try harder? It's all the same really. The problem is that the contractors take the GM engineers specifications, builds them at the bottom end, cuts corners to save money, and then ships the parts to GM to install on their cars so that GM can take the blame. The process is the problem and the blame for that does lie on the manufacturer.

At least that's my personal opinion on the whole subject, take it or leave it.

As for members coming here to bash Cadillacs and GM cars, who cares?
What kind of retard is going to spend money on a car and then come here to confess to the world how stupid they think they are? I mean THEY bought the car and THEY are the ones complaining about it. An intelligent person would sell the car, buy what they want and go to that forum and talk about how much they love their non-GM car. Wouldn't they?

· Cadillac Technician
none
11,053 Posts
I find myself wondering what model I would buy if I actually had the funds to do it. I live vicariously through all the cars I work on ;)

I like driving almost all of them. If I had an unlimited bank account I would lean towards the STS. I like the CTS but the STS has more room.
The DTS is a nice car but it's a little on the big side for me.
My wife dreams of owning an Escalade but she's happy with her Dodge Ram for now.

· Cadillac Technician
none
11,053 Posts
Kat,

I make a fair salary, but there are no rewards in this business for an A tech that does the kind of work I do.
I think it's a fair wage for what I do in this area but It's a 4 dollar an hour cut in pay from what I was making in California. The cost of living is a bit lower here except for housing. I am not "poor" per se, but I do have a very expensive home and my Wife is a PhD who earns a salary almost twice mine and it's her second year out of college. I have been in this trade for about 12 years. Most of what I do is electrical work and probably 80 percent of what I do is warranty work on new cars. Mostly stuff that nobody else in the dealership wants to do. GM does not reward techs with high pay for finding problems like the ones I work on. At best doing what I normally do I can get paid my 40 hours at my pay rate. There are guys swapping out pistons, rebuilding transmissions and changing engines that are making over 100 hours in a week, but my back can't handle that kind of work, plus I really don't like it.
If I traded my Trailblazer in and went a little deeper in debt I could probably honestly afford the payments but I don't want to encourage myself to do that because it would make me feel even more poor. Apart from my mortgage and 2 car payments (that are almost paid off) I really don't have much debt. I pay my credit cards off every month and have no vices except for buying DVDs (my current collection contains over 400 disks in all, some are box sets but it's about 200 titles)... I had to cut myself back to one a month because it was costing a lot. Maybe that would all change if people had some respect for the folks working on their cars instead of jumping in our faces and tell us how much we suck right out of the gate. I mean these cars are more complicated than the craft that put man on the moon but I am supposed to be spot on 100% of the time the first time every time. I try my best but there are still problems out there that GM engineers can't even solve, I seem to be responsible for that according to the general public as well. On top of that the honest guys get to earn a reputation from the few dishonest ones on national TV and then try to explain to someone why our shop labor rate is what it is. It's such a great business to be in....

Anyway.... enough about that.

I do agree that paying a premium price for a premium car, you should expect a higher degree of quality, and I didn't mean to say that Cadi doesn't care more about quality than Chevy does, what I really intended to say was that it's not as if less expensive carline carmakers don't care about quality as much.
Most of the cost, I think, is because of superior design and higher grade materials. I mean a luxury or performance car costs more in R&D and in production. It makes sense to expect more from a higher priced car in the way of quality, but I think a lot of people take it to an extreme.

I wish I got paid to hear people tell me how much they paid for their car every time they bring it in with something wrong with it.
I don't get a dime when our sales department sells a car and I respect the fact that you paid more for it, but whether you paid 1,000 dollars or 85,000dollars doesn't really matter to me, I treat people the same because when I am working on their cars, I get paid the same.
If I am working on a Catera or an XLR all I see is parts and wires. I treat them all with respect because they are not mine and my customers are entrusting me with them to get them fixed.

Sorry for the confusion of my previous remarks. I hope that makes it more clear.

Anybody who wants to talk to my boss about giving me a raise... most of you already know who he is... knock yourselves out.... :D
;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.