Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
NONE
1,352 Posts
Spittin: Lighten up mate. As per your post on another thread, you can't seem to take a joke. An Infiniti fan knocking Lexus is like a Ford guy knocking Chevy. It's just a fun game that's been played for years between car enthusiasts (and enthusiasts of other products). And with regards the other post, my comment about Lexus being a Toyota with leather seats was also a joke. Look at the length of most of my posts and look at the length of that particular post I made and the fact I didn't even give an opinion on the other 2 vehicles and you should see it's a joke. It was intentional because I know there's always someone who'll take the bait.

If we all take things seriously on here it's going to get boring fast.
This is the Lounge, for having a laugh and kicking back.

Sadly these sorts of arguments exist on every single brand enthusiast forum I've ever been on.

As for loyalty to Cadillac. The STS is the first one I've ever owned and I love it. In fact I love pretty much any american car. I also drive an IROC Camaro. A car I believe is considered white trash or ******* over there? I don't care, I love it (in fact I love it more than my Cadillac and if I had to cut down to one car I suspect the Cadillac would be the one to go even though t's better in every way). Basically I love domestics. Except they're not, to me they're imports so I'm not being patriotic.
I like my STS, I'd like (I suspect) the new STS as a replacment 3 or 5 years down the line. But I'd also like a Jaguar.
I'm not saying I'd prefer a Jaguar, but Im not saying that I'd prefer a Cadillac either.

Hopefully we can all appreciate what Cadillac stands for while also recognising there is a world outside GM.

· Registered
NONE
1,352 Posts
Agreed.

The fact that this brand specific board has people who drive Nissans (waves at Jesda ;) ), VW Passats (waves at McCombie ;) ), Pontiacs, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Buick, Chrysler and more says a lot in my opinion.
We even have people who aspire to Toyotas with the leather seat pack. (sorry, couldn't resist, I'll cut it out!)

In fact, this boards members are far more open mind than any other brand specific forum I've been on. And not just about what they get up to in their own homes, but about cars too.

<grin>

· Registered
NONE
1,352 Posts
Must get back on topic...

I don't know what kind of press Cadillac get over the pond, but based on the odd copy of Motortrend and the like that I've seen it strikes me it's probably not far off the press they get over here (only over here we get political sarcasm thrown in, you've seen Top Gear right?).

If I just read the reviews I would never have considered my STS. It got slated. Awful interior, a ride that manages to be uncomfortable while also having poor handling.
Luckily for me I got to see a few at one of the American car shows I go to every year, I was impressed my the silence of the engine, no word of a lie, I was standing behind an STS, talking to the owner about it and asked if he'd mind firing it up for me to hear the engine. He grinned and informed the engine was running. I didn't believe him and had to put my hand in front of the tailpipe to verity it. This is a fun game I play with people not familiar with my car. His was a dark green one, with a light coloured interior that looked really classy. An interior, that if the badge on the steering were covered up, I would have guessed was from a Jaguar (say a new S-type replacement) as opposed to a German car.

Another guy who is a bit of an american car fan (after having owned cars from every country imagineable) was raving about his so I bought mine off EBay, without even a test drive. My collection of the car was the first time I had ever ridden in one, much less driven one.
I was blown away with the smoothness and I thought the ride was lovely. Far nicer than comparable cars from Europe.

After about a week I nailed it and was very impressed with the performance of the engine. Although celebrated, lets face it, the North Star is starting to get on a bit. But I was impressed. I thnk I've got used to it though as now I consider it quick but that's about it. Passengers in the car who are not used to it are left at a loss for words however. They don't expect it to be that fast.

And the final cherry on the cake came last weekend when I followed my friends brand new hot hatch (erm, sport compact?) around a roundabout matching his speed all the way under real hard cornering. That I did not expect.

Makes me wonder, do the journalists actually drive the cars, and would their opinions be the same if they didn't know what the brand was?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.