Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 group 79's I bought have had nice straps on them for obvious reasons, to make it easier to carry. Now all the 79's in my area don't even have a place for a strap. WTF??? How many pennies are they saving here? maybe 5? I'm reluctant to go strapless now that I have experienced the convenience of a carry strap on a heavy awkward battery. If I have to pay $150 for a battery with no strap, then I might as well buy an Optima or some AGM battery with a strap for the same price, and forget about the vent. So are there any group 79's out there with a carry strap? Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Bosch 79's still had a slide in plastic handle last time I bought one. Pep Boys stocks them.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,826 Posts
do not go without the vent. it's there for a reason. Google it. I made a carry handle out of a tie down strap originally used on a motorcycle trailer.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Well this sucks. All the 79 batteries in this country are all made in the same place and they all have identical cases with no strap. Bosch too. I checked Pepboys and their Bosch group 79 is like all the others. I already anticipate battery problems because I have too many cars and some easily sit for a couple weeks at a time. As much as I try to use them regularly, 2-3 weeks can fly right on by and I'll have a drained battery with no strap. (It's not the old dependable cars it's the newer computer cars.) I have already thought about putting a trickle charger on it but that isn't always possible and another thing for me to remember. It will take some slight modification to put a trickle charger adapter on GM side terminals

I'm going to stew on it a few days but I just may buy a mexican optima or shop for some better AGM's and take my chances. If I smell hydrogen I will fix it. If the car burns down then I will decide if it was worth it at that point. I can't figure out how to rig up a strap on a battery with a smooth case and no slots on it at all. I have already been dealing with swapping dead batteries in the '03 and even with straps its kind of a long stretch on my old back. I'm not looking forward to doing it without a strap in this day and age. It just seems stupid and I will feel stupid for buying a battery without a 5 cent strap on it. The bean counters screw the consumer again.

·
Registered
81 supporter
459 Posts
i am a equipment mechanic ive been doing it for 30 yrs, i have an charge account with napa and i replace lots & lots of batterys every time i go down to napa and get a replacement battery they ask me what brand batt do u want and i always tell them i dont give a shit as long as it has a handle battery handle make life so much easier plus i like all my fingers i dont understand why they cant put a 50cent handle on all they batts r

1 - 6 of 6 Posts