Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
cts-v
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie.....just bought my cts vsport premium, looking for some basic performance mods. To my surprise I'm not having much luck finding anybody that makes a CAI??? What about a tune? My big thing with tunes is customer service...I've heard mixed things about the customer service with the Trifecta tune, but it sounds like a good product? Livernois has awesome customer service but I've heard their tune isn't as involved as Trifecta's? Any help???

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
Nope, no CAI. And yup, Trifecta is da bomb! Supposedly the stock intake system flows plenty of air.

·
Registered
None
7 Posts
You can custom make your own CAI, but unless you are making huge power, the stock intake will do the job. If K & N comes out with there drop in filter, you have a better flowing filter element to work with if you are planning on the custom route. My question is, will the oil mess with the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
I have the K&N drop in filter and to answer your question, no the oiled filter does not mess with anything I've had mine for 5k miles no problems yet.

·
Registered
2015 CTS Vsport - Black Raven
7 Posts
Newbie.....just bought my cts vsport premium, looking for some basic performance mods. To my surprise I'm not having much luck finding anybody that makes a CAI??? What about a tune? My big thing with tunes is customer service...I've heard mixed things about the customer service with the Trifecta tune, but it sounds like a good product? Livernois has awesome customer service but I've heard their tune isn't as involved as Trifecta's? Any help???
Ask yourself this question first, is the Vsport intake restricted? Answer that and you will understand why no one makes an after market CAI.

I also used a Livernois tune for my 2012 twin turbo SHO which was da bomb of tunes. The Air Raid CAI was the exact opposite and bled hot air into the intake. The ONLY time the Air Raid intake worked as advertised was when the car was on the dyno with the hood up and a great big fan pushing cold air directly at the Air Raid intake. Any other time, like actual driving with the hood closed and in traffic, or at a stop light, the Air Raid intake leak heated air from the engine into the intake. I could watch the intake temp rise and fall using an Android app called Torque and an ODBLink MX blue tooth transmitter. My singular experience is that CAI air intakes are fiction in the real world.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
Ask yourself this question first, is the Vsport intake restricted? Answer that and you will understand why no one makes an after market CAI.
I think he IS asking that ;-)

FWIW, Trifecta says the Vsport intake and exhaust are already optimized from the factory, so no meaningful gains are to be had from typical bolt-ons. And this is coming from a company that makes these items, so they have absolutely no reason to not be honest about this fact. Their tune is the best value for this car unless you want to start messing with the HPFP and then risking hard part failures. The gains from the tune would costs thousands of dollars to achieve in a NA car and then you're committed to the beast you created under all circumstances. With the Trifecta tune, you can leave tour mode completely bone stock...welcome to the future of performance!

·
Registered
2015 Vsport
51 Posts
I totally agree with Jbawden. The Trifecta tune makes the car so much more fun to drive! Also my experience with their customer service was excellent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are working on an intake as we speak. As soon as it is built and on the car I will re dyno it and prove the issue of there being gains or no gains from an intake.

We are also working on down pipes. As soon as we get all the materials for those and get them fabbed up they will be available as well. I will keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
hebdog said:
We are working on an intake as we speak. As soon as it is built and on the car I will re dyno it and prove the issue of there being gains or no gains from an intake. We are also working on down pipes. As soon as we get all the materials for those and get them fabbed up they will be available as well. I will keep the forum posted.
Yes please keep us updated I am interested in both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So after I did the resonator tube delete and still running stock intake system from resonator tubes to air box, Trifecta tune, and Corsa Sport exhaust,this is what she put down.

The 397HP/420TQ run was the after Trifecta tune, no intake mods.
The 426HP/462TQ run is Trifecta tune, intake resonator tube delete, and Corsa Sport exhaust.

Results may vary, but all runs were on our Dyno here at the shop. I didn't have a chance to get a complete stock baseline so my baseline is the 397HP run. As it seems, and as I figured, there is some definite restriction in the intake system. Next step is install the silicone elbows, solid intake cross over tube, then back on the dyno. After that I plan on modifying the stock air box and back on the dyno. Then deleting the stock air box for a couple of cone filters and back on the dyno.

As soon as I get turbo exhaust flanges, I will have them mocked up and made, then down pipe mock up will begin. We have some one already to go once we send them a prototype to produce.

Base line-mods.jpg

·
Registered
none
397 Posts
Great to see you picking up this project. After driving the ats v, I hate to say that I think I prefer the styling, size, and interior of my vsport.

Sounds like a tune + bolt ons may get my performance where I need to be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a ATS-V that we dyno'd right off the truck. It made 394HP/390TQ but had awesome 87 octane in it.

We took this project on as I want to build a VSport cause the ATS is tiny, and the CTS IMO is a way better looking car and most importantly, bigger. It is also cheaper! We are planning on swapping the ATS-V turbos, if they will fit, once all of the initial testing and parts development is done. Obviously dyno runs will performed after every mod to ensure power is being gained and not lost.

·
Registered
none
397 Posts
87 octane?
Perhaps that's why the one I drove seemed underwhelming, and also why the other crew on this site that it's working on the ats v dynoed about 35 hp higher(i know that dynos vary)

I still like the ats v, and was excited to want to want one. I'm just really pleased that the vsport is getting some spillover attention now. May be a tougher choice between the two in about 6 months. I sure hope so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They come in off the truck with 87 octane, and our fuel tank is filled with 87 octane. We quickly told the management the error in their ways. Now they go get filled up with 93 octane at a Chevron or Quick Trip.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V , Supercharged C6 Z06
109 Posts
What did you do with the intake silencers connected to the turbos? I took the canisters apart and removed the silencers and re-sealed them. Did you replace the silencer canisters all together or just gut them like i did? any pictures?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What did you do with the intake silencers connected to the turbos? I took the canisters apart and removed the silencers and re-sealed them. Did you replace the silencer canisters all together or just gut them like i did? any pictures?
I am playing with the idea of getting rid of them all together. The limited space down there is my main concern, mainly in case of a cold side tube coming off. I am trying to source the same "quick connect" fitting GM utilized for the tube to turbo connection but I am having no luck. No pictures, as it is just stock looking. We have just been busy with customer cars and other duties. Plus having time between those customers to get the car on the dyno. As stated I want to ensure gains are being made, then a complete intake system mod before and after run on the dyno. I will keep posting as we progress. Dyno sheets as well to accompany the progress results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts