Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today in MA, it was nice and icy- and this was basically the first time I really drove in the snow. So, in my 96 deville, I just wanted to see how it handled the snowy and slippery conditions. The traction control kicked in, only when my foot was on the gas-

But when I was using the brakes, and abs kicked in (the brake shook violently) Now, it sounded horrible, almost like a magnified noise of the car going over large ice chunks and breaking them- Is this corrupting my car? Thanks!

P.S What is the difference between ABS and non ABS, can I steer with ABS? Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
No, it's not corrupting your car. What you are hearing is the EBTCM (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module) pulsing the brakes faster than you ever could. That prevents wheel lock up and allows you to maintain directional control.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Nope, Some ABS units are pretty noisy, but if yours is as you describe, have a friend with an ABS equipped car drive it and see if its considerably different from thiers. You can steer with under brake application with ABS, as that is what the system was designed to allow. Keep a steady pressure on the brake pedal, and the ABS should do the rest. It should also drastically reduce stopping distances in slippery conditions as it keeps the wheels right at the limit of lockup, providing the best possible braking given the conditions.

·
Registered
927 Posts
the hardest part about abs is getting used to the DONT PUMP brakes thing because with abs you should never pump the brakes only step once and hard and let the abs do its job BUT this is hard when say you have some non-abs and some abs vehicles because it's not easy to think how we want to brake given the extreme circumstances when abs kicks in

Just this week my mother was in an accident in her suburban and it has abs and all but she started pumping the brakes thinking it would be better never the less the abs didnt really kick in because she lifted her foot off the brake but this is the first car she's ever driven with abs so she said in the moment she forgot.

ABS are dummy brakes they are meant for people that just stomp on the brakes at the first sign of panic otherwise they don't work, they must used properly which very few people do.

the 2 times my abs kicked in the noise itself made me lift my foot off of the brake because it is an odd noise to hear especially the feel in the brake pedal is excessively strange

Practice with the abs first so that you are prepared when you need it, it takes a little getting used too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol thanks for the reply, ill make sure that i keep the brake down- the fear of breaking something when i heard that noise made me think something was broken. Thanks guys for the fast replies!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I have 4 wheel ABS- does that mean all 4 wheels are pulsing like that? and If I ever decided to go E-breaking, how would I manage to do that...after turning off traction

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Only the wheel that has detected a skid will apply the ABS (pulse the brake).

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
phathead785 said:
Well, I guess I have 4 wheel ABS- does that mean all 4 wheels are pulsing like that? and If I ever decided to go E-breaking, how would I manage to do that...after turning off traction
ABS is automatically disabled when the Brake warning light is on, You can still tear it up in unplowed parking lots. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts