·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2016 Start/Stop feature, will turn
off the engine when stopped, then
restart when foot is off the brake.

Does that affect quick take offs or 0-60?

Can it be turned off at times?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
223 Posts
I imagine it can be turned off either with a switch or a setting in CUE. I bet you can also modulate it with the brake pedal if you want a fast start. It will be interesting to see if it's smooth in the first iteration or if they'll need to refine it further. The early 3 series systems were crap, but the system in the new 5 is very good.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
I'm sure it will be able to be turned off and if you are trying for the lowest 0-60 time at the next stop light you probably won't care about the small amount of gas you would have saved during the light.

·
Registered
2013 srx
163 Posts
You will only be able to deactivate this feature every time you start the car. There will not be a permanent override.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
I wish I had this on my 2013. It really is a gas saver....same technology of a sort as the Honda civic hybrid has. Just sit in traffic and watch your MPG indicator drop like a rock without start/stop; you actually gain better MPG in city driving than you ever hoped for with this feature. If it operates properly, you won't hardly notice when it goes on and off.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
I wish I had this on my 2013. It really is a gas saver....same technology of a sort as the Honda civic hybrid has. Just sit in traffic and watch your MPG indicator drop like a rock without start/stop; you actually gain better MPG in city driving than you ever hoped for with this feature. If it operates properly, you won't hardly notice when it goes on and off.
That's the key. I drove a civic hybrid a few years ago when my wife was car shopping and it was noticeable. We both agreed and cut the test drive short and took it off the list. On the other hand, the Prius had it, and during the test drives, it was rarely detectable. I think its a much better technology for a car like the Prius that will launch on the battery and then start the motor once it crosses a certain speed or driver demand for power. I can see in Washington stop and go traffic jams (where you creep along, stop, creep some more, stop) that it will become annoying, but maybe I'll be surprised.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium, AWD (Rad. Silver/Caramel)
101 Posts
You will only be able to deactivate this feature every time you start the car. There will not be a permanent override.
I had a 2016 Loaner and this is correct. There is a third button located at the base of the shifter along with the drive mode and TCS buttons. You turn the feature off using that button. Other than the car becoming DEAD silent at a stop, you know it is active when the RPM gauge needle drops into the Auto-Off area on the tach. Lifting your foot off the brake, you can hear the cylinders firing back up if the radio is not on

Also, if you are in manual shift mode, the auto off feature did not activate at a stop. The loaner was a 2.0T auto and I was getting 20-21 MPG (dealer fueled, prob 87?) according to the vehicle calculations and I was driving more on the spirited side.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
That's the key. I drove a civic hybrid a few years ago when my wife was car shopping and it was noticeable. We both agreed and cut the test drive short and took it off the list. On the other hand, the Prius had it, and during the test drives, it was rarely detectable. I think its a much better technology for a car like the Prius that will launch on the battery and then start the motor once it crosses a certain speed or driver demand for power. I can see in Washington stop and go traffic jams (where you creep along, stop, creep some more, stop) that it will become annoying, but maybe I'll be surprised.
My wife's 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid has it, and as I said, unless you saw the auto stop indicator, you hardly knew it was off. With a radio on, you don't notice it at all. What's more annoying to me is losing money in my gas tank as it burns away in stop and go traffic. The fact you can turn it off if you prefer on the ATS, is a great bonus!

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium, 2013 ATS 3.6 Premium
107 Posts
I test drove a 2016 CTS 2.0T. The engine restarted the instant I lifted my foot from the brake and was running before I even got to the gas pedal. Very impressive. I also test drove a 2016 ATS 3.6, but for some reason the engine wouldn't auto-stop. It was in the right mode as far as I could tell. Anyway, the 3.6 idle was silky smooth. Finally! The 3.6 + 8-speed transmission seemed smoother and more powerful, and still made a tremendous growl when I floored it.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a salesman tell me that pumping the brake when stopped would create a restart, but I can't say if that means pressing the brake at
different pressure or lifting foot off and back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts