Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Interesting article. Although this sounds, admittedly, a little paranoid, my fear about this legislation is different. My fear would be that if we're only "using" the software in the vehicle or equipment, at some point in the future our cars (and etc.) could be remotely disabled by the companies who say that they still own them. So at some point, you go out to jump in your 2018 CT6, only to find out that GM has "changed" the programming via satellite, and they've decided you don't get to use "their" vehicle until you pony up another giant wad of cash. Sure, paranoid. Sorry - I'm out of aluminum foil for lining my hats. Either way, I don't want SkyNet owning the car I paid for.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I see this as just a way to insure the all your repairs are done by the manufacturer. They want to put us DIY'ers out of business.

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Conv
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not one of those guys who will run around saying the sky is falling while wrapped in tin foil but I don't like this one bit.
I understand they're worried about their proprietary information being misused or stolen. The fact they are missing is they sold me an item that contained that information.
It's mine...I'll do what I please with it...that's what hot rodding is all about.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The software is another part of the car just like nuts and bolts that also require human intellect in the design and manufacturing process. Shyster lawyers can get out there and proclaim all kinds of legal theory but that doesn't make it so. All politics and law come from the barrel of a gun. That's why the founders gave us a second amendment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts