Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jalopnik ran a piece criticizing the Celestiq name. Are they right? Or is the name just fine? Anyone know more about the origins of the name and its meaning?

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts
Fine and Dandy. What's not to like!

Hell Ya.JPG

Seriously, the name's a little out there. Begging for misspelling at every turn. Why not Prestidigitator-E ?

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
719 Posts
Probably a portmanteau of Celestial and Mystique. Or an unused medication name.

Max

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT, 2004 XLR
71 Posts
No, I don't like the name. Doesn't say Cadillac, just like Cimarron did not say Cadillac. Avoid that name at all costs!

·
Registered
2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS
542 Posts
Love the look but final product won't look like that . I thought ct5 was going to look like escalla. Not. At at 200k won't be a lot of buyers , and a plug in. Sales of plug ins were down last year, price of gas is way down this year , Cadillac has lost its way, won't be around much longer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
At at 200k won't be a lot of buyers , and a plug in. Sales of plug ins were down last year, price of gas is way down this year , Cadillac has lost its way, won't be around much longer.
The Celestiq (not a fan of the name) is to be a very limited production "halo" model so simply by default, there won't be a lot of buyers. While BEV and PHEV sales were down in the U.S. in 2019, they were up globally.

Cadillac had record sales in 2018 and again in 2019 and while 2020 will obviously be a different story for them and the industry overall, I think Cadillac will be fine and around for a long time.

·
Registered
2014 ELR fully loaded baby!
147 Posts
The Celestiq (not a fan of the name) is to be a very limited production "halo" model so simply by default, there won't be a lot of buyers. While BEV and PHEV sales were down in the U.S. in 2019, they were up globally.

Cadillac had record sales in 2018 and again in 2019 and while 2020 will obviously be a different story for them and the industry overall, I think Cadillac will be fine and around for a long time.
Interesting that you say that, lately all I've heard from GM/Cadillac is doom and gloom.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
3 Posts
I think Cadillac should bring back the Calais name. I think the Celestiq ok, just not a name for Cadillac. The Calais name fits this car perfectly I mean look at it. I love it

·
Registered
147 Posts
That front end is awful and the back looks ridiculous. Reminds me of the 6000 SUX from Robocop.

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think Cadillac should bring back the Calais name. I think the Celestiq ok, just not a name for Cadillac. The Calais name fits this car perfectly I mean look at it. I love it
Not that many people will necessarily remember but the "Calais" name was used on the low end/budget version of the DeVille. The Celestiq is supposed to be Cadillac's top of the line ultra luxury sedan. Also, Calais was used on Oldsmobile models after Cadillac dropped it. More may associate Calais with Oldsmobile than Cadillac.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not that many people will necessarily remember but the "Calais" name was used on the low end/budget version of the DeVille. The Celestiq is supposed to be Cadillac's top of the line ultra luxury sedan. Also, Calais was used on Oldsmobile models after Cadillac dropped it. More may associate Calais with Oldsmobile than Cadillac.
Oldsmobile is the first thing I thought of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts