Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every1. I started the thread " What happens when diff goes bad" and there were over 50 posts to it.

Now i have one simple question that no one has answered yet.

Before my differential fails, would i get any kind of information? Check Engine Light or some kind of malfunction or loud noise etc? Or does the car all of a sudden just lose control. What happens if your on the Free Way?

That thought really scares me if all of a sudden we lose control of the car.

thanks for reply

sham

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey robert you mentioned in another forum that you have had 5 diff. failed on you. So it made no noise at all? How much do you abuse your car? Occasonal burning out? What damages the diff the most, stepping on gas from 0 to w/e, stepping on gas while moving a little (20mph) or stepping on gas period.

aiight thanks

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
CadiKing2006 said:
Hey robert you mentioned in another forum that you have had 5 diff. failed on you. So it made no noise at all? How much do you abuse your car? Occasonal burning out? What damages the diff the most, stepping on gas from 0 to w/e, stepping on gas while moving a little (20mph) or stepping on gas period.

aiight thanks
Not me. I probably was referring to Pete Raimondi. He's busted serveral. He does a lot of testing for CMS.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
CadiKing2006 said:
aiight thanks
Shock loads are the hardest on them. For example launching really hard and getting wheel hop, the cycle of a wheel free spinning for an instant, then all that momentum stopping when it hits the pavement, then free spinning again etc. is killer. High loads that are progressive, e.g. nailing it while doing 20mph, or even a controlled burnout, aren't that hard on it.

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Well I drive mine aggressive and autocross it. I have the same amount of gear whine that I have in my Mazda that I do race, that I have in my caddy.

Why worry about something that may not even happen to you :)

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Our first one moaned like an old hound dog, the second totally seized at about 50-mph in heavy traffic with no warning or earlier noise, the third is acting like the first one did & is due for replacement.

Our car has never been hammered - no quick launches, etc. Don't think it has ever been subjected to full throttle... Go figure...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts