Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 Caddy Fleetwood

Now, I got a question for all my other caddy owners out there...

Do the Vacuum booster or master cylinders go bad that quickly? Also, I never changed the brake lines on my caddy, how in the world could air get in the line?

The scenario is...I was driving, I went to a gas station, turned off the car, pumped the gas, turned on my engine and the e-brake light is on which is normal. BUT, it never turns off. I found this odd. So I turn it off again, start up, wait, still nothing turns off. So I pump the brake a couple of times but then the brake pedal locks up at the top so I am unable to push it down. But when I push the ebrake down it still stops the car. So the pedal does not work, the e-brake light still stays on, whats the deal people????

I had one mech look at it, he says vacuum booster, which is 3000 bucks? Ridiculous. But I need to know what you all say b/c I have no idea. I love my caddy but 3000 bucks? cmon now.

Thanks for all the help appreciate it alot..

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Did you mean 300? That I might believe.
The pedal won't go down at all?
Maybe the booster failed and it's so hard to push it feels like it won't go down.
There is no way a brake booster is $3,000.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I find that a stretch too. Right off the top of my head, I can't remember whether you have ABS or not. I remember that in the first couple years of ABS cars we had some strange happening that involved rock-hard pedals and it was traced to the ABS system. Just an FYI, probably has nothing to do with this but thought I'd make you aware of it too. A booster isn't too hard to diagnose, so you probably have it under control here. But that price is totally ridiculous.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Uh oh... now that I think of it.
If this has the old style ABS unit that has the pump motor, master cylinder, and accumulator all built into one housing, he might just be right.
I can see that being that high.
Can you describe what it looks like or give us a picture of the brake unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all, sorry for the delay, I will have to take a picture of it i guess....yeah the pedal hardly goes down, its hard as a rock

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually....i wonder...if i released some pressure from the brake lines, for instance if i took off the tires and released some fluid, would that help at all? or am I just wasting my own time?....thanks for the help it is very appreciated..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The master cylinder is where the brake fluid goes in correct? Where the chamber is located? I will have to take a picture asap then...I will post it within a day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, could a fuse or relay be a problem as well?/??? is there a fuse or relay for the booster???? i wonder...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts