Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a strange question, as this is the first performance car that I've ever wrenched on my own. I had to take the wheels off today to send them down to So Cal to Makaveli because all four of the wheels' inside lips are cracking pretty severely.

So I have the car on jack stands in my garage, where it will be for the next few weeks until my wheel are repaired :crying2: . After taking the wheels off I decided to see if the rotors would spin freely (dunno why, maybe I was bored, who knows). It takes quite a bit of effort to turn them by hand. It seems as if the brake pads are rubbing them at most points of a 360 degree spin. Some areas seem to spin more easily than others.

Could this be warped rotors, or is it normal for the brake pads to contact the rotors like this? Just wandering if it is going to cause my brake pads to wear prematurely or maybe slow me down haha ;)

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
LV_V said:
is it normal for the brake pads to contact the rotors like this?
Always cool when your Uncle teaches you how to do a brake job...On an Austin Healey 3000 (If anyone knows what that is.):hmm:

The lesson is vivid including when he told me the pads always contact the rotors in a disk brake setup.

All is well.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
There should be contact and drag ALL THE WAY AROUND.

But if you don't notice any pulsation when braking lightly or moderately, then don't worry.

Tony

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
heavymetals said:
That brake drag can really affect performance.

Sounds like you need a maggie.

LOL

The drag is normal.
:histeric::thumbsup:

From my experience, totally normal. If your calipers are hung up, your wheels will turn a beautiful red color, and will steam when you go through puddles. You'd smell the brake lining material as well.

No pedal pulse + car stops = no problem.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Actually, if the car is cold, there should be little drag. The pads back off when the pedal is released. The question is how much drag. If you need two hands to rotate the rotor and it takes a lot of effort there is a problem. A little drag isnt an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts