Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My rims have lost most of their clear coat and look really bad. I'm thinking the cheap alternative is just to replace them. I found a similar wheel:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?bp=5-115&yr=1994&pc=22356&counter=1&wd=15&rw=6.5&vid=000293

My question is that they suggest a wheel installation kit: What is a Wheel Installation Kit? Everything you need to safely secure the wheels to your vehicle is included in this handy kit. A wheel installation kit will provide a full set of lug nuts or bolts depending on the requirements of your vehicle. These lugs are heat-treated and chrome plated for strength and beauty. Purchasing this kit is strongly recommended as the original equipment lug hardware will not work on aftermarket wheels.

Do I need this? For the record, I just ordered Dunlop SP-60s for the car through Mr. Tire, so I'm going to replace the rims @ the same time I replace the tires. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
They probably need the kit because the OEM acorn style lug nuts wont fit down inside the aftermarket rims. The kit just includes lug nuts specifically designed for those particular rims and your car. Every set of rims I've ever brought came with the included hardware to install the rims including a lock lugnut for each wheel. Buy the kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take a look at www.wheelcollision.com in Bath, PA for original wheel refinishing. There's also a shop in Millersville (MD) called Mobile Wheel Repair or some such. Look in the Suburban MD yellow pages.

For lug nuts, look at www.ezaccessory.com
Thanks, I've used the one in Bath before for an Eagle Vision wheel repair back in the 1990s. They do good work, but to refinish the wheels would cost $100+ each and to buy one would be $190+ each, so in this case, aftermarket would cost less. Thanks for the tip about the Millersville shop, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They probably need the kit because the OEM acorn style lug nuts wont fit down inside the aftermarket rims. The kit just includes lug nuts specifically designed for those particular rims and your car. Every set of rims I've ever brought came with the included hardware to install the rims including a lock lugnut for each wheel. Buy the kit.

Thanks, for $45, did not want to buy into a gimmick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just called the one in Maryland, it's $480-600 a set to refinish in case anyone else is looking to do this. So, aftermarket seems the way to go (at least if cost is a factor), but I plan to keep the original set in storage in the event the car makes it another 10 years and then can be judged in classic car shows. :cloud9:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts