Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am done with vista...my old ass laptop running XP is faster than my supposed top of the line computer running vista x64....I know Win 7 is gonna hit RTM in a few days....do I wait and upgrade? I haven't tried the beta but anyone that has please chime in...slower/faster than vista?? It will of course be a pain upgrading to 7 just because it won't be a legal copy until it hits the shelves...other question is if I go back to XP do I use XP x64 with compatibility issues or sacrifice some speed and just use the standard version. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts

Seriously, Vista is the worst piece of shit O/S I have ever used. And so you're thinking "UGH, another MS hater!". Far from it, I'm one of the FEW people who actually LIKED *Windows ME* and Vista is FAR worse.

I passed on the Windows7 Release Candidate to rollback to XP and I could NOT be happier. My laptop runs like BRAND NEW now and FAST all the time. It can be a bitch rounding up all the drivers for machines currently on Vista though.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh it was more of a bitch finding drivers for vista!!!! Thanks, I guess I'll at least wait till 7 SP1 to switch over...won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
By FAR my number one Vista gripe is the new "gentle" task-kill that returns all the power to the stupid application running instead of the O/S. If you have an application that refuses to close, you can throw the kitchen sink at it... task kill, command line task kill, remote task kill, task kill utilities... it will NOT end until you reboot the machine.

As a result of that and Vista's numerous other failings, I found myself rebooting my laptop about once every 3 days versus once every 3-6 weeks with XP. My employer still relies on XP and -IE6- if you can believe it because when it comes to mission criticality, XP is still the most stable game in town for an enterprise of 150k associates.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
This laptop and my upstairs PC run Windows XP Pro. I bought a second laptop from Tiger Direct and made the great mistake of not double checking the OS. It was VISTA. After a lot of grief and bitching I scrubbed the hard drive and loaded XP. Happy Camper. VISTA and probably 7 are very unfriendly and require far, far too much care and feeding to even print a black and white page. Absolute junk in the name of "progress". MICROSOFT got lost in the nits and left the world out to dry.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
I read an article stating that the company I work for is unfortunately one of the "early adopters" for Windows 7.......so at least when it crashes and runs so slow I can't get a thing done its not on my time.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Mac OS X FTW!

But seriously, I would rollback to XP and be done with it. My Dell Dimension with a Dual Core AMD Athlon processor and 4GB is beyond slow running Vista Basic. I'll tell you if I had a copy of XP running around i sure as hell would have installed it a long time ago.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
I have a dual boot of Win 7 RC1 64bit and Win XP Pro SP3 32bit, and their actually about the same when it comes to speed. However, this means that 7 is a lot faster then Vista. A lot. To me Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, its a lot smoother, an though its not as hardware friendly as XP, I never really find my computer being pushed to it's limits.

The only real problems I had with Vista was the speed, due to the fact that it was a complete and utter memory hog, but 7 seems to take care of this, and its really an OS that I can enjoy, so I'll probably be buying the full version. I grew up from a very young age using computers, and it was easy enough for me to figure out the new OS, despite some of the differences from what I've used.

When it comes to stability, for me its about equal between the two as well, because for some reason this particular machine has to restart about once every 100 hours. It's been about 19 months since my last hardware upgrade, I guess it's just getting old. :p

So yeah, Windows 7 is pretty damn good. If you can/want to upgrade, try it.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Go to PCmech.com for some good reviews and info on windows 7. Even the geeks despise Vista. You can pre order 7 for $50 (versus 139.99) until july 11. I still prefer XP myself. I dont see any reason why I would need to switch to 7.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Anyone with any historical experience with MS operating systems knows that you always wait until at least the 1st service pack to fix all the mistakes that were missed in testing. Let the beta geeks and hopeful saps work through the bugs.

To each his own though .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Vista has slowed down my dual-core AMD 64 AthlonX2 pretty good. I heard the soft touch row of multi media buttons will not work with the XP drivers.... thats actually what is keeping me from changing.

All the computers at work are slowly (key word for that place) getting switched from XP to Vista. I would make some comment about whoever decided to put Vista on gov't computers, but seeing the rest of the current decsisions of, well the gov't - it falls right in line. If I don't set expectations, then I won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
HAHAHA maddox ftw

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
Go to PCmech.com for some good reviews and info on windows 7. Even the geeks despise Vista. You can pre order 7 for $50 (versus 139.99) until july 11. I still prefer XP myself. I dont see any reason why I would need to switch to 7.
Small correction: With the exception of the MS fanboys, ESPECIALLY the geeks despise Vista. I work in IT, and can't think of any of my coworkers/acquaintances who actually LIKE Vista. in my experience, it's the non techie users who like Vista [sarcasm](I'd say for the interface... ooh look, shiny object!)[/sarcasm] :thepan:

For me and my coworkers at home, it's XP/Mac OS/Linux, in roughly equal proportion. Me, Mac OS FTW!

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just finished downloading a custom cooked version of XP...my question is, what are the notable upgrades (besides eyecandy) that win 7 offers.....if I don't hear anything good I'll prolly install XP tommorow.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I just finished downloading a custom cooked version of XP...my question is, what are the notable upgrades (besides eyecandy) that win 7 offers.....if I don't hear anything good I'll prolly install XP tommorow.
:thehand:

Downloaded it from where? You are going to fill your machine full of malware if you got it from a torrent. And even if its clean, microsoft will know that its bootlegged and will not allow you to update it. It will have every unpatched security hole since XP was launched and will become chock full of viruses, trojans, spyware and other garbage within 30 days.

Unless its a fully legal and licensed version with a valid key, you're in for a bad time. I suggest you back up all your important data before you screw yourself.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
Access to more than 3.14gb of your total RAM and better security.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts