Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow caddy lovers,

My first thread here, so here it goes.

I just bought a 1993 Caddy sedan DeVille 4.9L, and I am in love. It only had 62,000 miles when I bought it and I paid $3700.

Well I have already fixed a leak for $200 and the front brake $130 and changed the rear brake drums $80.00. Now I was told I need to replace the engine mounts for the front and back.

I plan to take a roadtrip from LA to Vegas in late Dec. and I would like to know if I can hold off on the mount repairs until I get back since my funds are very short.

The car seems to drive perfect, no noises at all. The engine purrs like a kitten.

Please advise.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Check your mounts first. Have someone stand on the break to keep the beast from moving, put the car in drive and give it gas, the in reverse with gas. While your buddy does that you watch the engine. You'll know if you need new mounts because the engine is going to jump front and back pretty good as it torques if they are shot.

If you don't see much movement and you don't have a heavy clunk when you put the car in gear under normal driving conditions then you should be fine. If the mounts are shot you may still make your trip if you take it easy, accellerate gently.

You can get replacement mounts at places like Kragen for between $60-100 each. With a few good tools and a floor jack you should be able to relpacethem yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts