Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my issue. After a year long battle, I got back my 1996 Seville SLS from the gal that was buying it from us, but didnt make any payments for the most part. Its still in good overall shape for the most part. Its a 3rd or spare car for us now as we replaced it when she bought it from us. I am glad I keep the title in our name! Anyhow, the interior needs a bit of help, the tan leather finish is worn off the shifter top, and on part of the rear seat where a childs booster seat sat all the time. I think the rest of the leather can be revived with a good professional detailing. The car is that beautifull dark red with tan leather, has most options except for moonroof and heated seats. It still runs well, has 107k on the motor. Feels like its due for plugs and new wires. Is this car a ticking time bomb that will blow its top in the near future, or can I get a few more years out of the N* if I get it serviced now. I would probably have Roth Cadillac put new plugs and wires in her. I could do the front bank, but the rear looks like a total PITA to do. The transmission does well, doesnt quite have the zip when you mash it down anymore like it had when it left here. But driven like resonable person it does just fine. All the air ride works well, no warning lights on the dash. Localy I would do good to just get 3K for it. I have over 8k in it with shipping the car back here. I am just worried about the N* taking a crap on me and not being able to afford its repairs. Thanks for any adivse I can get. Mike and Michele T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8K was what I paid, minus what we paid on it before trying to sell it to an ex friend, then had to pay the 1k to get the car shipped back here, there is more to the story but its a sore subject. Bottom line I am just glad to have the car home. I know the N* can get expensive if things go south like head gasgets ect. It runs good now, can sit in the heat with the air running and not go more than a needle's width over the middle mark on the gauge. I dont feel like dumping almost 4k into a grand cherokee to fix the trans and ac system so we can use it for traveling, then it only gets 19mpg where the Seville gets just a hair over 30mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Roth will charge you about $600 to do plugs and wires. Scope $80; plugs $100; wires $100; labor, 10% shop charge, etc.

Take to a local garage for a lot less. Also have them replace radiator hoses, serpentine belt, fan belt that controls water pump (driver side), fuel filter.

You should be good for another 25k or until shocks start acting up.

Midas on west 12th street used to allow mechanics to work on personal cars after hours. Mgr name used to be Mark. Neat guy.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Rear plugs are not as hard as they look on a Northstar. Trans fluid is due for a change. Change the coolant if it is due and it should last a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From reading up here on the forum, I think I can handle the plugs, both the belts look recent, she probably had them done while she had it. Both upper and lower rad hoses look good, I know it needs all the fluids changed pronto. If my memory serves me right, I want the green antifreeze in the N* correct? I would have a tranny shop in Fairview do the flush and fill and add an extra cooler as I do tow my restored antique garden tractor with the caddy. The ride control works well for now. If it dies, she would get regular struts in the front and manual air filled ones in the rear to handle the trailer hitch. Anything special to do with the coolant other than swaping it out for fresh stuff? I know to use AC Delco plugs and wires on the tune up part. Still starts easily and runs smooth, but I can tell the plugs are tired, heck at 107k we would be tired as well. No coolant usage, no oil leaks that are hitting the ground. For now atleast the N* is healthy from what I can tell. I love the color, would love a DTS in this color someday, but the better half says not till I am 50 at least. She calls a Deville or what it became an old folks car. Not in my book, but gotta keep the peace. What about help for the leather interior? The shifter looks horrible, nice and tan on the sides and worn thru to the brown leather on top. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Do NOT, and I repeat do NOT get the transmission flushed or you will find yourself buying a new transmission. It's the worst thing you can do for an older transmission.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
'96 uses orange Dex-Cool.
Transmission flush? :tisk: Check the Technical Archive at the top left of this page.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I would keep her you can get rebuilt Northstar Engines on ebay for relatively cheap if something happens.
And the rebuilt ones have the known issues addressed so the car would last even longer than initially.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts