Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I replaced my cabin air filter. This filter has about 15,000 miles on it.

Step 1) Put your Wipers in the UP Position:

Step 2) Locate the location of Cabin Air Filter and Remove the weather stripping:

Step 3) Remove these 4 bolts with an 8mm socket and slide out:

Step 4) Remove the plate that covers the air filter. In this picture it is the black plate right behind the battery. There are 2 tabs on each side that just lift up.

Step 5) Remove the Air Filter and match it up with your new one. Look to make sure that the Air Flow face the right way. Facing the inside of your car.

. The cabin filter will have an air flow direction like this one.

Step 6) Install the new cabin filter in its place. I squeezed the filter to make it easier to go in.

.Also notice the placement of the filter. I tried for 5 minuets to try to put it under these top clips before I realized that the filter does not go under them.

Step 7) Install the plate back in, it goes in this direction:

Step 8) Reinstall the Air Inlet cover and strip. You're done.

Enjoy your new filter and be glad you just saved yourself $65 in labor. My local Goodyear Service station wanted to charge me 45 mins. of labor. I would say this took 25 mins. to do since this was my first time doing it. Next time it should take me 15 mins. The filter cost me $25 at Pepboys.

:welcome:

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Should have left the filter out...save weight. :)

Thanks for the write up! Should go in the Faq if its not allready there...

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Should have left the filter out...save weight. :)

Thanks for the write up! Should go in the Faq if its not allready there...
:rolleyes:
If its not in FAQ its in the Manual, i changed mine last year. You should look into changing or vacuming the engine air filter as well.

·
Registered
05 CTS
434 Posts
Dude! Awesome write up for this!! Kuddos to you on taking the time to do this for all of us!!!

I'll be using this very very soon!!!

Thanks man!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Good write up, but your missing one thing. Which way does the pletes go? Veritcal or hoziontal? I replaced mine a few months ago, but couldn't remember which way the pletes go.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
Good write up, but your missing one thing. Which way does the pletes go? Veritcal or hoziontal? I replaced mine a few months ago, but couldn't remember which way the pletes go.

KOT
Just follow how ever you took the old one out?

·
Registered
Cadillac
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're welcome...I'll write more tutorials as do more things to my car.

Next up might be getting rid of some swirl marks.

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
Taking off the weather stripping and that part was a stroke of genius. My dealer took an hour to get to the filter and didn't know that trick. His mechanic's hands were a bloody mess. Tight FIT!

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD
293 Posts
Thanks for this. With my son's help this was a piece of cake. Unclipping the hood and holding it vertical is definately a key to the success of the operation.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT
405 Posts
I'm really ****ing pissed off right now. I tried doing this just now and I royally ****ed it up... let me explain:

The cabin air filter housing is a plastic piece which, besides holding the air filter, is what holds the plastic cover that you remove when changing the filter. This housing is clipped into the firewall (going off of memory) with two clips on top and perhaps a third clip, or third and fourth clip, on the bottom. These clips go into rectangular holes in the firewall through INTERMEDIARY metal clips, which first snap into place in the rectangular holes in the firewall, into which you then snap the cabin air filter housing such that the foam gasket seals against the firewall properly.

Guess what? One of the metal clips fell into the little space behind the firewall, and the other clip fell OUT. **** ME. The one that fell into the space behind the firewall is almost impossible to get out because it has to come out in a certain orientation, and there really isn't much space to put your hand there to try to fish it out. I'm not even going to bother looking for the clip that fell out because I'm going to have to pull the battery and God knows what else. Guess I'll just drive around for a while with unfiltered air. Well, maybe it's on my driveway... I think I ****ed one of the clips on the bottom, too, because the housing seemed to be pivoting around one of the clips at the bottom when the top two clips were out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So, anybody know a dealership in the GTA that isn't gonna **** me in the ass to get the cabin air filter housing remounted?

·
Registered
2003 CTS
432 Posts
Yep, i got into a much more involved bunch of S*** including removing the battery also.

But after a cut or 2 ...... it's done.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm really ****ing pissed off right now. I tried doing this just now and I royally ****ed it up... let me explain:

The cabin air filter housing is a plastic piece which, besides holding the air filter, is what holds the plastic cover that you remove when changing the filter. This housing is clipped into the firewall (going off of memory) with two clips on top and perhaps a third clip, or third and fourth clip, on the bottom. These clips go into rectangular holes in the firewall through INTERMEDIARY metal clips, which first snap into place in the rectangular holes in the firewall, into which you then snap the cabin air filter housing such that the foam gasket seals against the firewall properly.

Guess what? One of the metal clips fell into the little space behind the firewall, and the other clip fell OUT. **** ME. The one that fell into the space behind the firewall is almost impossible to get out because it has to come out in a certain orientation, and there really isn't much space to put your hand there to try to fish it out. I'm not even going to bother looking for the clip that fell out because I'm going to have to pull the battery and God knows what else. Guess I'll just drive around for a while with unfiltered air. Well, maybe it's on my driveway... I think I ****ed one of the clips on the bottom, too, because the housing seemed to be pivoting around one of the clips at the bottom when the top two clips were out.

ewill, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 CTS
10 Posts
This write up rocks!! Thanks so much for doing this, as it saved me a huge amount of time and trouble.

The only feedback I have from my cabin filter replacement experience is that I found that my filter did fit under the plastic tabs that you mention. I found that there is a little plastic guide on the drivers side of the filter housing that looks like it is designed to guide and hold the filter towards the cabin/rear of the car. After about 6 attempts of jamming the new filter in there, I successfully got it to follow that guide, slide in, and underneath those tabs. At this point, the filter seemed to fit like a glove where it was supposed to go.

If the filter went on the outside of that guide and the tabs, it just kind of fell down cock-eyed, and didn't really seem to sit properly. I have a 2003 CTS, so maybe your model is different. (???)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
454, is this a CTS I guess?

It sounds like you were taking way too much stuff off to get to the filter.
You only need release the two tabs on top of the top portion of the cover to access the filter. Refer to step 4 of the picture procedure in the original post.

If you removed the fasteners to the bulkhead and lost clips, you should be able to replace them, you'd just have to find the right part number.
For that you can call Luke and try to explain the location of the clips and he can look them up.
If the case is secure with the other fasteners you might be okay to leave it, but it would probably be good to replace them if possible.

Not sure if that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts