Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as a profession I do mobile auto reconditioning. I mostly fix scratches, dings, dents and exterior work for used car dealers and private owners who have lease returns or want their cars looking good. However, I do some interior reconditioning as well, so I thought I'd share a few pointers.

As everyone knows the Escalade seat bottoms wear like no tomorrow! Instead of spending $200+ (EACH!) on a new seat bottom, I'd rather freshen it up a bit, much like I do on lease returns and used cars. You will need a $9 bottle of SEM SOAP and an $11 bottle of SEM 149B SHALE (#17203) Classic Coat leather paint. You can find these at most auto body supply shops. SEM has a list of their distributors on their website.

Lets get started! Here's what you need:

^^^ Notice the slight discoloration? ^^^

You will need to thoroughly clean the leather to be painted to get rid of any conditioner or grease left behind. Dab a little on a heavy duty Blue paper towel and use a spray bottle to spray the leather with water. Mask the area you don't want over-spray.

You will want to apply 3-4 light coats. You may want to go slightly heavier to fill in the "cracks", NOT THE CREASES! If you look closely at the seats, you will notice the black "dirty" spots are actually really small cracks. Those will be filled in.

And the other side.... (sorry no before pics, it was just as dirty/worn as the driver side)

Pics don't do any justice. The difference in person is night and day! Although the problem with the creases will not be solved, it will definitely make you happier to live with. The paint is amazing, the blending properties within the SEM paint are unbelievable. You will notice the paint is really not a paint, but more like a dye. It just disappears into the leather and blends perfectly. You will not have to paint the entire seat. Just don't lay the paint on thick, and you will be pleased!

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Amazing! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,755 Posts
Amazing. Thanks! I just need to figure out what thjey called the light SLS interioir in 2001.

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
Wow my seats look a thousand times better now! Any tips on how far to hold the can from the seat? And is it ok to use leather conditioners on the seats a day or so after painting? Thanks

·
Registered
1996 Deville
67 Posts
Amazing. Thanks! I just need to figure out what thjey called the light SLS interioir in 2001.
Since I'm a new member, I can't post links yet, although I did try.

If you go to SEM's site, look at their automotive products, and find Classic Coat, there's a color chart there with different colors.

According to a local auto body supply shop, they don't have a cross reference list for the colors.

You could bring either your entire car, or a removeable part like a headrest or armrest, to the body shop supply store, and make a match yourself.

Also, their site has a VERY detailed guide to using the products, appears very helpful.

·
Registered
deville
5 Posts
I had to post on this becuase I just started doing this to my new to me 97 deville.My seats had no creases,tears,or cracks.My problem all the shale color had rubbed off with age.I found this post and decided it was worth a shot since the previous owner really did take decent care of the seats.About 10 minutes ago I finished my passenger seat and all I can say is WOW.It looks new and the sem shale blends perfectly with the factory.I am just blown away.If wasn't getting dark out I would be doing my whole interior right now it is just that good.If you follow the prep instructions you will not be disappointed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
I wouldn't mind doing this to my Seville where areas of the dye has started to come off. Problem is I don't know what exact color I would choose. My interior is Pewter. I'm debating between two shades of Grey on the site.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
So I have a question about colors, since you do this you might be able to help me.

I have an 01 DTS, The interior is 2 different colors but I think the seats are the shale that you mention. I'd like to paint the outer parts of the seats to mach the darker gray color in the car.

Any idea what color I need.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
You really have to look up the trim codes. The colors on the screen never look like the car and the colors in the car are very different than what you think they are.

Order carpet samples some time. When you get them, I promise the one you think would never match your car, is the one.

Especially these greys and shale and neutral they have. They're very deceiving.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
You really have to look up the trim codes.
I know, just haven't had the time. I have ordered multiple carpeted mats in the wrong color, now I do get samples. :thepan:

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
TSS - I suggest going to a local automotive paint store that carries SEM interior dyes. That's what I'm going to do when I re-dye my seats. The color of the lid on the can should be a match to your interiors. I have to agree that Lt neutral is close to my interiors too - more of a light mocha tan.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts