Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After nearly 4 years of owning my SRX I recently noticed the well documented rear jack compartment leak. Was not sure where this was coming from and thought it was do to a new rear hatch rubber seal the dealer had just repalced as the old one had been peeling off. I hit every anagle of the rear hatch, third brake light and Ultraview with a hose and was not able to confirm any leak. I dried the rear carpet and was hoping it was a one time event and then by "accident" I found the reason for the leaking.

Coming home tonight I turned off the AC and only had fresh air coming into the car and the Ultraview open ( it was a clear night about 69 degrees). Drove about 15miles and when I got home I checked the carpet in the rear jack compartment and it had newly formed wetness !!!

The first time I noticed this was just a week ago when I had previosuly been in upstate NY on a long trip. On this trip I often drove with the AC off , only fresh air coming in and the Ultraview open. Upoun removing the third row headrests I noticed that they were damp and quickly learned about this problem from Cadillac Owners Forum. Odd that I never noticed it before but there is no doubt the leak is caused by the mositure in the AC somehow backing out into that area. I will be calling my dealer in the morning.

I hope this helps all of us....

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
Please keep us informed. SO, You think that when the A/C is OFF the water still in the A/C system is leaking since your SRX is getting wet when the A/c is OFF. I assume it hasn't rained and no other moisture like a carwash has affected your car. FYI, I vaguely remember someone mentioned something about the rear A/C leaking earlier. Good Luck--I hope you're right.

·
Registered
2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC
875 Posts
Please keep us informed. SO, You think that when the A/C is OFF the water still in the A/C system is leaking since your SRX is getting wet when the A/c is OFF. I assume it hasn't rained and no other moisture like a carwash has affected your car. FYI, I vaguely remember someone mentioned something about the rear A/C leaking earlier. Good Luck--I hope you're right.
You are probably thinking of this post.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/112658-air-conditioning-compressor.html
It is very possible that the rear condenser could be causing the wet carpet problem. One would think GM could figure that out if it is the case.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The A/C unit is on the driver's side in the rear behind the air intake grille.
Could you determine if the water was more abundant on the driver's side carpet of the jack compartment?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Depends which hemisphere he is in. Water flows clockwise in northern. If he is right on equator, it might take dealer even longer to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Last night when I made this discovery there was no rain and no car wash. As a matter of fact over the weekend I blasted the rear hatch, rear bumper and Ultraview with a hose and the rear jack area was dry as a bone ! It is definatly associated with the AC system.

Interesting to note that I was out with a co-worker today who also has an SRX. I took a look at her SRX's rear jack compartment and sure enough found it to be wet !! She had no idea about this issue and I am sure many SRX's owners rarely go into the actual jack area. Another friend owns an SRX and I am going to look at theres as well. GM has to know about this...

·
Registered
858 Posts
It is definatly associated with the AC system.
If it is the problem then water should be holding in the rear evaporator case due to a plugged drain hose.
It's easy to check. Look up at the floor pan between the fender and muffler on the driver's side. There are two a/c hoses going in to the passenger compartment (evaporator case) but also a black hose is showing with a squeezed/crimped end that's next to the a/c hoses. Using a long screw driver or wood dowel or similar tool tickle/penetrate the hose but don't penetrate it too far or the evaporator coil might get damaged. If the water is not draining but spilling into the jack area you may get wet! Theory confirmed!
Let us know.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) I will be taking the SRX to the dealer Tuesday to view the rear condensor and hose as suggested. I will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
I have had the same problem as well. I just had mine into the dealer for an oil change and asked them to check out the rear drain. They found a piece of foam in the end, which I believe was to keep spiders out. It was covered with dust and grime and apparently plugged. They removed the foam, so I will have to see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
I have had the same problem as well. I just had mine into the dealer for an oil change and asked them to check out the rear drain. They found a piece of foam in the end, which I believe was to keep spiders out. It was covered with dust and grime and apparently plugged. They removed the foam, so I will have to see if the problem goes away.
That is the newest reason the hatches leak. That makes about 6 in total. I've personally had 3 leaks fixed.:alchi:
Any word on the rear air conditioner leak scenerio??

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
I haven't had any water in the rear jack space to be able to confirm or not confirm that the condenser drain for the rear a/c helps. I have noticed that there is quite a bit of water that has been draining in the rear since I have had it checked and cleaned. I am currently vacationing in a humid environment so that would explain the water. But nonetheless, I have not had any water draining before having the dealer check. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
Finally rained in Arkansas. After 3 fixes, I detected a minute amount of dampness on the carpet around the spare tire again.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Finally rained in Arkansas. After 3 fixes, I detected a minute amount of dampness on the carpet around the spare tire again.
Ain't ya'all gittin tiryed of this hear'in sh*t?
Why ain't sum'bdy takin off the rear interor side trim, the hatch interior trim an that thar rear rug and just driven the tin can into the pond with the dealer in the rear watch'in fur the leak?
Git'er done! !

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
Ain't small gittin tired of this harbin sh*t?
Why ain't somebody taking off the rear interior side trim, the hatch interior trim an that Thar rear rug and just driven the tin can into the pond with the dealer in the rear watchin fur the leak?
Gitter done! !
You missed the mark of excellence in your attempt at a bit sarcastic humor --like GM missed the engineering mark, in an otherwise great crossover, on their SRX rear hatch! Leave that type stuff to the Cable Guy!

·
Registered
2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC
875 Posts
louisn: Having lived in central Arkansas (Hot Springs), I feel certain you used your air-conditioning during the dry weather. This would seem to eliminate the air conditioner condenser/evaporator leaking water into the jack area. Would also assume you washed the SRX during that time and it did not leak. It would seem if it gets wet only when it rains there is possibly a leak in the under carriage near the spare tire just below the jack storage area. I had a Buick Rivera that had an under carriage leak that soaked the rear carpet after driving through heavy water on the road. I do not recall that anyone has indicated that the carpet is wet above the jack area, just in the lower part where the jack is stowed. Our '04 did not leak and I did not let them adjust the cable on the hatch since I knew I needed to pull the right side to open the hatch. Out of fear, I do check the '05 on occasion. Still DRY!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts