Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Sedan DeVille
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Recently, I've noticed that my air ride compressor is making a god-awful noise like it's going out or something... it stays on only for about 30 seconds, it doesn't run all the time or anything... but it's recently gotten extremely noisy (it sounds kind of like a diesel engine running from inside the car)

So if I disconnected it would that cause the back end to drop like so many 90's era Town Cars you see driving around? Or would I be OK? Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,152 Posts
In my Seville the level compressor gives out a low hum for 4 - 5 seconds just about 8 seconds after key-start. It is not loud by any means.

Yes - disconnect it and the rear hits the bottom stops, how soon depends on the integrity of the whole system.

·
Registered
'95 Sedan DeVille
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I look into a replacement before the thing goes out completely? I have my sub box in the back, maybe a total of 120lbs or so in the trunk so I have a feeling if I disconnected it now it would drop pretty quickly... if I do get a new one should I poke around for leaks beforehand? Thanks

·
Administrator
71,152 Posts
If the compressor assembly is making the noise as described, runs for 30 seconds, and/or the rear is low in the morning (or ever, for that matter) then you need rear level control service.

·
Registered
'95 Sedan DeVille
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the compressor assembly is making the noise as described, runs for 30 seconds, and/or the rear is low in the morning (or ever, for that matter) then you need rear level control service.

Is this something I could diagnose myself? I had actually read another thread that you replied to about the compressors getting condensation in them, or the lines being clogged, if it's something I could do myself I'd be all in.

The compressor is actually starting to run more and more often, I'd say once every few minutes when driving on the road.... this all has happened in the past week or so, I don't know what could have caused this all of a sudden...

·
Administrator
71,152 Posts
The compressor, air tubing, and air shocks are standard mechanic gearhead stuff. Much easier up on a frame hoist, but tediously do-able on jackstands.

You need to find the air leak and fix that - it can be any of the 3 mentioned parts above. Spritz the tubing and shock fittings/boots with dish liquid solution in an old Windex sprayer. Bubbles are leaks. Entirely possible that the compressor exhaust valve is on the way out - the pump should never cycle when driving unless there's a leak or you reload the trunk. Pull your DTC's and see if there's a code for the rear level system.

To pull the compressor assembly, remove the r/r wheel and fender liner.

·
Registered
'95 Sedan DeVille
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The compressor, air tubing, and air shocks are standard mechanic gearhead stuff. Much easier up on a frame hoist, but tediously do-able on jackstands.

You need to find the air leak and fix that - it can be any of the 3 mentioned parts above. Spritz the tubing and shock fittings/boots with dish liquid solution in an old Windex sprayer. Bubbles are leaks. Entirely possible that the compressor exhaust valve is on the way out - the pump should never cycle when driving unless there's a leak or you reload the trunk. Pull your DTC's and see if there's a code for the rear level system.

To pull the compressor assembly, remove the r/r wheel and fender liner.
Thanks for the insight sub, I will definitely take a look at that. The only code I have is the good old I039 Service Ride Control which I've had for a while now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts