Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my SRX in for service yesterday and stopped to check out the ATS in response to the favorable reviews read on this forum. The styling and the platform really look great, but as a tallish driver at 6' tall, my head kept hitting the corner of the sunroof from the drivers seat during normal positioning. I can imagine going over speed bumps or railroad tracks on my daily route and slamming my head into the roof liner.

I also checked with the the XTS and the CTS and both of those vehicles have very ample headroom with the sunroof.

Anyone else at my height or taller find this an issue in day-to-day driving?

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
You must be very long in the trunk....I'm 6' 2" and have absolutely no problems with head room; not even close to touching the roof...and I have a sunroof. Are you sure the seat adjustment wasn't set high for a shorter driver? It adjusts quite a bit you know.

·
Registered
ATS
44 Posts
I'm 6' tall as well and have ample headroom in my ATS - much better than my 2009 Mercedes C Class. In order for my C class to work for me, I had to lower the seat to the point it made my legs uncomfortable as they were nearly straight out.

Does your seat have a height adjustment? I think the post above also mentions this.

·
Registered
ATS 3.6L Luxury
235 Posts
I took my SRX in for service yesterday and stopped to check out the ATS in response to the favorable reviews read on this forum. The styling and the platform really look great, but as a tallish driver at 6' tall, my head kept hitting the corner of the sunroof from the drivers seat during normal positioning. I can imagine going over speed bumps or railroad tracks on my daily route and slamming my head into the roof liner.

I also checked with the the XTS and the CTS and both of those vehicles have very ample headroom with the sunroof.

Anyone else at my height or taller find this an issue in day-to-day driving?
Lower the seat height, someone before you must have raised it. You should have ample room.

However, there are certain high speed bumps that may 'launch' you. Really need the sunroof?

·
Registered
ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue
70 Posts
I'm 6'1" and headroom was OK, but had to go without the sunroof to have reasonable rear seat headroom. Without the sunroof, I can adjust the seat wherever I want and have plenty of headroom

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, 2013 ATS 2.0T
25 Posts
Like the others said the seat may have been adjusted for someone short. I am 6'5 and have a sunroof in my ATS with plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my demo vehicle did not have a battery in it so I couldn't adjust the seat. I'm sure the seat back angle was probably more vertical causing my head to be more forward, however, I still felt my hair hitting the roof. I can't believe their is such a disparity between my report and everyone else. I need to revisit the dealer and take one for a test drive.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
I'm 6'1" and headroom was OK, but had to go without the sunroof to have reasonable rear seat headroom. Without the sunroof, I can adjust the seat wherever I want and have plenty of headroom
The ATS is not meant for rear seat passenger use; sunroof or no sunroof, the back seats are only occasional seats only. It's basically a sports car....get the XTS if you need to use the rear seats on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I tried sitting in one recently. Even with the sunroof, there was adequate headroom for me in front, not quite enough in back (but I'm very tall in the torso), but more legroom than I'd been led to believe. It was the sides that felt cramped--but everything does after my DeVille, where there's a 4 inch gap between the wide seat and the door, and no console.

·
Registered
'13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3
390 Posts
We just picked up a 2.0t ATS 6MT w/sunroof last night. I'm 6'7", with a lot of torso height. Once I had the seat adjusted all the way down, I had just a little bit more headroom in the ATS than I did in the CTS they had in the showroom.

Out on the test drive my wife drove first, since it would be (is now) her car. I always automatically adjust the seat to it's furthest back and down position when getting into a car since I'm used to it. In that position, I had to pull the seat a bit closer to the wheel, as I had to almost fully extend my leg to use the clutch (36 inch inseam). I have about an inch and a half of headroom in a normal seating position.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I noticed the seat in the ATS and XTS would go much further back than my DeVille's. Now they need to offer some wider seats so the pro athletes can be seen in Cadillacs besides Escalades.

·
Registered
none
10 Posts
The ATS is not meant for rear seat passenger use; sunroof or no sunroof, the back seats are only occasional seats only. It's basically a sports car....get the XTS if you need to use the rear seats on a regular basis.
Thank you for this reply. I have been deciding if I wanted this car or not for the last month and you just hit it in the head. I am a realtor and the back seat is very important to me.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,636 Posts
Disappointed in the ATS headroom in the drivers seat for a 6.0 ft tall driver
Not to make light of the situation but if you are interested in extreme solutions, contact Flavio Briatore. He used to run the Beneton/Renault F1 team. He once had a surgeon ready to take a few inches off a driver's height so he better fit the car. I guess when the car costs a hundred million, its cheaper to modify the driver! LoL

·
Registered
ATS4 Turbo
197 Posts
I'm 6" with a long trunk. I almost always adjust the seat of whatever car I'm in to the lowest setting. Ever since I saw Tommi Makkinen driving a rally car with his seat 6" lower than the co-driver, I realized I can easily lower the CG of my car but doing the same, so it's just a habit now. There's a few rental cars I've driven where full low is a little hard to see, but not the ATS.

With the ATS seat at it's lowest setting you could fly a model airplane between my head and the liner. I have managed to get airborne one or two times due to some rutted iced roads lately and did not hit my head at all. Definitely try with the seat lowered. :)

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I'm 6" with a long trunk. I almost always adjust the seat of whatever car I'm in to the lowest setting. Ever since I saw Tommi Makkinen driving a rally car with his seat 6" lower than the co-driver, I realized I can easily lower the CG of my car but doing the same, so it's just a habit now. There's a few rental cars I've driven where full low is a little hard to see, but not the ATS.

With the ATS seat at it's lowest setting you could fly a model airplane between my head and the liner. I have managed to get airborne one or two times due to some rutted iced roads lately and did not hit my head at all. Definitely try with the seat lowered. :)
Exactly how I am. Lowest always...

----------

Thank you for this reply. I have been deciding if I wanted this car or not for the last month and you just hit it in the head. I am a realtor and the back seat is very important to me.
If you are short enough, the back seat room isn't bad. If you had 4 people 5'8, or under, it would be fine. I can sit behind my driving position for a short while. If I got comfortable in the front passenger seat, I could sit behind that for an hour or two in relative comfort. I'm 6'1...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts