Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered this today. There's no reason why a crack should appear in the plastic covering the driver's side carbon fiber strip on the door. It should last longer. Disappointed. 20

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
272 Posts
I sympathize. But, that looks like some kind of impact or stress caused it, rather than being random. Also, stuff like that sometimes happens with 8 year old cars. Doesn't make it a whole lot more acceptable, but is a reason that I start thinking of unloading around that time.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,647 Posts
Just discovered this today. There's no reason why a crack should appear in the plastic covering the driver's side carbon fiber strip on the door. It should last longer. Disappointed. 20 View attachment 603043
Disappointing - yes, but it can be replaced. There is always a reason for something like this happening. It could be a stress fracture, or as others have said an impact or heat fracture. I`m betting on a stress fracture - maybe a misaligned clip when installed, or the installer did not line things up quite right, or the installer used a lot of force on the install and caused a small unnoticed fracture which over time caused a larger fracture in the same way a window chip can cause a crack in the windshield. You can order a new one. Removal and install is relatively easy with some trim tools.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
272 Posts
I think heat can cause plastic to crack over time.
I live in Texas, where the summers are brutally hot. I have actually never had an interior part crack as a result, but you see it in cars with some frequency. So it is kind of expected after a while.

I have always looked askance at the mostly black interiors, although my Acura, two cars ago was like that. I have to say I like it more on the ATS than I thought I would and it doesn't seem to get quite as hot as I thought it would, although the car is white, so that helps to some degree, I guess.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
1,019 Posts
I went to adjust the driver side air vent closest to the door, gingerly pinched the handle with my fingers and tried to slide it to the right, and it and just came right off in my hands. And the little rubber sleeves the tabs on the engine cover slide into are glued to the foam, one of them came off when I was removing the cover once. Little things here and there suggest the best quality was not used, but they are things I'm annoyed about for a day and then forget about so I guess it's not really that important. Your door panel issue would possibly be the same way for me, although I certainly understand the disappointment. Hope you find a suitable fix.

Oddly, it is considerably more expensive than the wood and aluminum versions, so maybe it's actually CF.
I believe it is actually supposed to be real. In the Morello Red interior anyway.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
387 Posts
I have the same trim piece and mine also cracked a few years ago. Luckily it happened/I noticed it right after I hit some road debris and was able to lump that into the insurance repair.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,291 Posts
Jeff,
I hate it when things break but at least that is a fairly easy and not too expensive repair. You could probably find the part on ebay if you keep an eye out for one. If you see someone listing interior parts, you can send them a message to see if they have the piece you need.

It could be inadvertent impact damage, even a small tap at just the wrong part will cause this much like a tiny pebble can cause a windshield to crack when it hits a part that was already under stress. It could also be a stress crack that occurred under heating/cooling of that and surrounding parts.

There is no question that parts are produced at the lowest cost possible. I first observed an automotive supply chain reverse auction over two decades ago where firms compete in a live online auction to undercut each other's bids for supplying parts for a multiple year auto platform production run. That one ran over two days for a small group of fasteners and the winner has to cut every corner possible to make a profit by the end of the multi-year contract. Pretty much every part comes through that environment which helps explain why things like axle seals, bearings, valve springs, etc. which have been very reliable for decades suddenly aren't.

I would replace the part and be happy it is a fairly easily replaceable part. Tuesday afternoon I pulled the tires/wheels off my Corvette Z06 to have new tires installed and that is a multiple part jacking process using low profile jacks. Very few tire places are willing to chance lifting a Z06 with its carbon fiber aero pieces because you have to use lifting pucks perfectly placed in the lift locations and the wrong move will crack a composite body piece that is one of the first pieces epoxied on during the build and is very expensive to replace. There are also frame lifting points but it is a hollow aluminum frame with very specific lift points that require using lifting pads to spread the load. So it is best to just take the wheels off yourself when it is tire time; the ATS is far easier to live with from that respect.

Tire Rack shipped the tires to a local Firestone and after an hour struggling with the first of the 285/30 front tires which aren't as difficult as the 335/25 profile rears, the techs admitted they wouldn't be able to seat these wide, low profile, ZP tires. I then took them to Peoria Plaza Tire where I should have started and even there the tech struggled with one of them and it took him about 3 hours total to mount and balance. Seeing the struggle he had (and he was a very experienced tire guy), I won't complain about most repair work. I knew that these were going to be an issue because even the tire setup shop for Bowling Green assembly plant struggled with them early on. But over $2,000 and several hours later at least the Z06 now has new shoes :) These are the fronts when I got home last night ready to go back on the car, it now has its new tires and if this damn rain ever stops I can take it out for some fun.

Rodger

Reactions: jeffbazell1

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
341 Posts
And the little rubber sleeves the tabs on the engine cover slide into are glued to the foam, one of them came off when I was removing the cover once. Little things here and there suggest the best quality was not used, but they are things I'm annoyed about for a day and then forget about so I guess it's not really that important.
My (used) car was missing one of those rubber sleeves when I got it. The replacement was super cheap though, and it didn't bother me much. As Rodger pointed out, with the current way cars are made I'm sure every brand deals with little things like this.

I have the same trim piece and mine also cracked a few years ago. Luckily it happened/I noticed it right after I hit some road debris and was able to lump that into the insurance repair.
I'm here to make it three. I have a small crack in that exact same piece (also the carbon fiber), toward the bottom right edge. It was one of a couple of small defects on the car when I bought it, and I assumed the previous owner had tried to remove it and cracked it in the process. Maybe they are just particularly fragile.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,576 Posts
Expansion/contraction causes the smallest fracture to grow into what we see in your picture. Most unfortunate. I'm under the impression that this is truly carbon fiber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts