Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 SLS and i desperately need to disable my daytime runnigns lights b/c they are getting in the way of my plans of putting in angel eyes!!!! please i need ur input thank oyu in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
How are you putting the angel eyes in? I desperatly want to do that for my Eldo.

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
173 Posts
Check your owners manual and/or fuse center(s). You should have
3 of them.
Your DRLs may run off their own fuse. My trucks DRLS are on the same fuse
as the fogs so no luck. I just pulled the bulbs.
I also found a trick to defeat the auto ons off a GM truck forum. !!!!!!!!!

For my 96 Caddy I went to http://www.lightsout.org
to shut them off.................geo:canttalk:

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sonjaab but if u pull the bulbs then i lose my high beams and if i ever need them i would like to have that otion, i went to that site and pulled the fuses labeled "fog light/drl" and a relay fuse labeled "drl" i pulled both and it still didnt do anything!!

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
I came across a thread about this awhile back. I have yet to try this myself. But I cant take credit for this, just keeping it handy.

DISABLE HIGH BEAMS as DRL
Normal daytime operation of 1998 Seville (and some other models / years) uses the high beam headlamps in series as DRL. Pulling the DRL relay in the underhood junction box will disable this DRL function but it will also disable normal nightime high beam lights!!

Turning off DRL and maintaining normal high beam operation requires a little surgery behind the LH headlamp. Not recommended as a first-time DIY project. I always solder wires and insulate with heat-shrink tubing.

DRL and high beam switching is accomplished by relay control of the ground connection for the LH high beam bulb. This little project provides a full time ground for the LH high beam instead of the relay control.

Remove top trim cover to access LH headlamp assembly. Remove headlamp assembly as far as the wires will permit. The wiring for all the bulbs in the headlamp feed through a large connector attached to the headlamp mounting bracket structure; remove this connector, disconnect it, and remove the lamp lamp assembly.

At the connector end that remains in the car, remove the tape and flexible cable cover for 3 or 4 inches. Locate and cut the pink wire far enough back in the bundle to provide protection from water. Solder / splice a length of jumper wire to the cut end of the pink wire that goes to the connector. Connect the other end of this jumper to a suitable chassis bolt for a ground connection.

Tape / insulate the "other" cut end of the pink wire (unless you would like to operate your fog lamps as DRL).

FOG LAMPS as DRL
Attach a length of wire to the "other" end of the pink wire. Feed this jumper wire straight down toward the LH fog lamp. Remove the bottom trim cover to gain access to the rear of the LH fog lamp. Solder your jumper to the anode end of a small diode. Break into the insulation of the purple fog lamp wire and solder the cathode end of the diode to the this wire. Waterproof / insulate everything.

Disclaimer: The wire colors used above are 100% correct for 1998 Seville models. Check your wiring diagrams for other year models.

jwd; Jan., 2005

MacK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts