Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to disable the amber daytime running lights? I like the way it looks better with all the ligths off during the day. Plus besides here in florida is so sunny must of the time that those lights are not needed.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
WOW, mIGHT BE EASIER JUST TO REMOVE THE BULB? Or would the DIC be telling you your bulbs are burned out?

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I've posted this multiple times before but I guess it was ignored. The DRL's can be disabled using a TechII. I can't remember exacly which menu it was under but I believe that it was under the "Body" category. It is very easy and intuitive to find if you have access to a TechII. There is also no need to change any hardware using this method.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Is this legal? I remember in 1964 the cars were required to have them for safety reasons. I wish they were clear lenses instead of amber.

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Lots of Duct Tape! If you are worried about the turn signals just have the windows down and use your arms!

PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
dheftler said:
What is this TechII? How do I get it?
It's an advanced ODBII interface unit or ScanTool. You can use it to view and edit available options in the modules installed on any given GM vehicle.

It's expensive...thousands of dollars. If you know someone who has one, borrow it. GM employees (non-factory workers) usually have access to one for their R&D tasks also.

Here was one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Tech-II-Dealership-Scan-Tool-Kit-Tech-2_W0QQitemZ4601307627QQcategoryZ43989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The Tech 2 runs close to $3,000.

The turn signals are the same bulbs as the DRLs.
The lights are controlled by the Dash Integration Module.

On what do you guys base the assumption that th e DRLs can be turned off?
I guess it might be possible, but for a dealership to do it there is a mountain of paperwork that must be completed.
Even though they are not required by law, as a factory installed option since 1997 DRLs are considered safety equipment and you have to jump through some serious hoops to get them deactivated.

I guess from an aesthetic point of view it may be objectionable to have these lights on but most people find it easier to leave them on than to go through the process of deactivating them.

·
Registered
Black Raven CTS 2.8 VVT
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just dont like the way they make the car look. if it was the other little parking light in the corner where the hi/lo beam are than i would not mind. that is why i would like to disable them.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
In Europe we don't have daylight running lights. Adviced is though to put your lights on during the day...

So on my CTS the amber lights only function as turn signals :)

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
ewill3rd, why dont you READ the link i posted on the tech II requirments for turning off the DRL's. we KNOW this information because GM tells us.

a tech II is expensive as hell, usually only dealerships have them, they can change parameters in a limited sense and reflash (reprogram) a cars PCM or ECM. when you car throws a servicee engine soon light and you take it to the dealer the first thing they do is hook it to a tech II

·
Registered
11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2013 Jetta
86 Posts
Isn't the DRL a module? I had a faulty one in my Taurus (it kept the daytime lights on even with the key out) and when I priced out the part it was close to $150CAN so I...just pulled the module and kept driving, (near the fusebox under the hood in Fords). Now in Canada it IS the LAW after a certain model year to have daytime lights, but I have never heard of anyone pulled over. They don't even check for it during a safety. If they do I'll put the module back in for the 10 minutes it takes... :)

What this would do to a CTS system would have to be researched before pulling any DRL module however. You would have to see if the turn signals still worked or if some other issue might crop up. I bet it would show on the display that here is an issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts