Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was replacing my sparkplugs yesterday, and i took off the intake sytem for more space. as i opened the tb to wide (just messing around), i saw basically 2 tubes, one on each side of the tb, and they seemed to be realllllyyy grimy on the inside. im planning to take the tb off, and clean those tubes with some engine degreaser, or smting. is that ok? or do you have any better ideas?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Use throttle body cleaner and make sure you don't just spray the stuff into the intake. You don't want to puddle flammable solvents in the intake.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
How hard is it to remove the throttle body? Could you give a step by step procedure to do it?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
unhook cables, unplug wires, and unhook any vacuum lines, and unbolt it the wrap a towl around it an gentely clamp it in a vise use some Carb cleaner (it works much bettern than Throttle body cleaner) spray it and scrub with a old toothbrush. you can do the same thing to the intake but make sure you give it plenty of time to evaporate

Attachments

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Do you think using parts cleaner on it would work as well and be safe on it?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
like in a parts washer? I wouldnt sugest it, Parts washer will leave oily residue that will still have to be cleaned off. Also take much care with any sensors that are in the TB, Just spray them don't scrub

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
OK. Thanks for the help. How will i know that my throttle body needs cleaning, besides the fact that the intake is dirty. Are there telltale signs? I am from the old school engines, and i am trying to get up to snuff on things.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Rough idle, stalling, uneven idle, sticking throttle blades (very common) are all basic warning signs as it were. Just seeing carbon etc in the intake is NOT a reason to tear into it.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
sooo, you do not recommend spraying throttle body cleaner into the throttle body? IF so, why not. Arent the directions on the can to spray it in there?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If you have a big carbon problem I'd suggest a product called Sea Foam but cleaning the

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Kevin, what are some things that you would suggest if i do this myself. I have done this before on marine engines using similar stuff, and i spray until it starts to choke, and then i back off until it gets back to normal. Is there something that should be altered when doing this a cadillac?

Dead, i have heard of sea foam and have used it, great stuff. I have used in my 327 chevy in my 67 Christ-Craft.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado FE1 VIN Y
9 Posts
It might plug the EGR though, so if you have to pull the EGR and clean it don't be surprised. Seafoam rocks though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts