Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 cadillac deville dts, 2006 dts
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have one of them annoying tapping noises come from the lifters! im assuming they get like this when having high mileage! whats the best possible way to get rid of this noise.. its not severe or anything its just a slight tap and its a little louder when cold. somebody please give me some advice on cleaning this thing without opening it up! thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,022 Posts
We used to use Marvel Mystery oil or some other snake oil solvent in the "old days", but with todays oils, sticky lifters is not a problem anymore. What you are hearing might just be normal. I know mine is a tad noisier when cold. Remember, you have 4 cams and 32 cam followers up top right under the cam covers.

·
Registered
2007 DTS, 1977 Seville
104 Posts
How long have you had the noise? Has it changed? If it's recent and started suddenly, it might be a piece of carbon in one of the cylinders. Try the WOT clean-out procedure to blow it out. This needs to be done occasionally anyway. I don't think it hurts to use a dose of Techron two or three times a year, also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ranger!! well i bought the car in 2010 and it already made the noise! i knew exactly what it was because i used to own a 99 monte carlo and that one was really annoying loud! but it also had 200k miles! im just hoping it doesnt get louder because its sort of embarassing with people looking at your nice car and wondering why its making a tap noise! lol..i have been doing the wot procedure lately and the engine runs alot smoother it seems but still an annoying tap!

I hope you guys dont bash me on this but, last oil change i added lucas oil stabilizer for the high mileage! correct me if that was dumb!

any ways does anybody else have this noise and was there a way you can get rid of it??

p.s. ranger, if you say its normal than i just might stick with that! ;)

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,114 Posts
As Ranger stated Marvel Mystery oil is a good additive to use to clean out the lubrication system a bit.

If not, wait it the low level drops a tad bit (if your car is using oil) or drain out a quart or two before you change your oil and add a 1-2 quarts of transmission fluid to the engine oil.

Let it idle for about 1/2 hour or take it for a drive varying the rpms while you drive and change the oil. The detergent in the trans fluid maybe strong enough to free up the lifter and stop the noise.

I've done this for years on cars I've bought second hand that made ticking sounds and I've been lucky so far...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,022 Posts
:yeah:
Forgot about the old trans fluid trick. Used to do that as well, but as I said that was when oils where not what they are today. They just don't sludge and cake like back then. You can try either of the above, but I really doubt you'll see any difference.

Without hearing it I can't tell if it is normal or not, but like I said, if I listen for it mine is a little noisy at cold start (not bad or annoying). I just attribute it to the nature of the beast. At the risk of starting another oil war :hide:, if you are using a 5W oil, try a 10W. That's what I use. You won't hurt anything and can always go back if not happy with it.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,148 Posts
Your 2003 Northstar does not have valve lifters. It uses static lash adjusters with roller cam followers. There is a picture of the valvetrain in my albums. You can't "clean this thing" by "opening it up".

DO NOT pour snake oil into the oil. What is your engine's current mileage ??? For a roller cam Northstar anything under 200,000 is low mileage. Start pouring in snake oils and you have absolutely no idea of what happens to oil viscosity or lubricating properties under different temperature conditions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sub it has 119,000 on it. whats snake oil? are you referring to things like LUCAS, slick 50, etc?....so what exactly is that slight tapping sound?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok.... but still wondering about the dirty sticky" valve lifter" type noise! wheres it coming from? ranger now that you mention using heavier oil like 10w-30, i can remember that i switched to 10-30 awhile ago and the sound greatly decreased. 2 weeks ago i switched back to manufactured oil and its alot more noticeable...i guess ill end up switching back..

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,598 Posts
Could be a lot of things - depending on what exactly you are hearing. You could be hearing arcing ignition, exhaust manifold leaks, noisy fuel injector, etc.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,148 Posts
That slight tapping sound could be a few thousandths of an inch of excess lash in a hydraulic adjuster, a timing chain tick, a cold piston slap (read the ^^^ Archive on "cold carbon rap"), or any of several other valve train mechanical noises - engines are NOT quiet, regardless of how much sound insulation is stuffed on and around them. My engine sounds different from yours, Ranger's, basscatt's - none are the same.

sub it has 119,000 on it. whats snake oil? are you referring to things like LUCAS, slick 50, etc?....
"Snake oil" is an old time-honored term for the (usually alcoholic) potions sold by midway pitchmen at traveling medicine shows and carnivals - guaranteed to cure any one of a thousand ailments. The term, as used in the automotive field, has come to refer to any of the aftermarket potions offered for gas, oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and who knows what else - and NONE of it is even remotely recommended by the manufacturer of any car on earth. The shelves of parts stores are lined with the stuff in order to lighten your wallet and do little else.

Normal maintenance with regular recommended interval oil and filter changes (and other fluids changes) is all a car needs to run long and well.

Were you around when Slick 50 went to court in a false advertising case - and lost ?

Hope springs eternal, but it does NOT come from a $12.99 bottle of paint thinner mixed with mineral oil - or any other snake oil concoction. Don't get me wrong - many of us in here have spent a small fortune on snake oils over our wrenching careers - we simply now know better.

"But, Sub - Mario Andretti's F1 car has all sorts of neat oil stickers on it. He runs this stuff in a race car !!" Wrong - the stickers are sponsor advertising. If I put one drop of Sub's Special Slick Stuff in my 7.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum engine oil, then I can legitimately say "I run Sub's Special Slick Stuff". (Under my breath I mutter "It doesn't do a thing for the engine except put money in my pocket..............")

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That slight tapping sound could be a few thousandths of an inch of excess lash in a hydraulic adjuster, a timing chain tick, a cold piston slap (read the ^^^ Archive on "cold carbon rap"), or any of several other valve train mechanical noises - engines are NOT quiet, regardless of how much sound insulation is stuffed on and around them. My engine sounds different from yours, Ranger's, basscatt's - none are the same.

"Snake oil" is an old time-honored term for the (usually alcoholic) potions sold by midway pitchmen at traveling medicine shows and carnivals - guaranteed to cure any one of a thousand ailments. The term, as used in the automotive field, has come to refer to any of the aftermarket potions offered for gas, oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and who knows what else - and NONE of it is even remotely recommended by the manufacturer of any car on earth. The shelves of parts stores are lined with the stuff in order to lighten your wallet and do little else.

Normal maintenance with regular recommended interval oil and filter changes (and other fluids changes) is all a car needs to run long and well.

Were you around when Slick 50 went to court in a false advertising case - and lost ?

Hope springs eternal, but it does NOT come from a $12.99 bottle of paint thinner mixed with mineral oil - or any other snake oil concoction. Don't get me wrong - many of us in here have spent a small fortune on snake oils over our wrenching careers - we simply now know better.

"But, Sub - Mario Andretti's F1 car has all sorts of neat oil stickers on it. He runs this stuff in a race car !!" Wrong - the stickers are sponsor advertising. If I put one drop of Sub's Special Slick Stuff in my 7.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum engine oil, then I can legitimately say "I run Sub's Special Slick Stuff". (Under my breath I mutter "It doesn't do a thing for the engine except put money in my pocket..............")
ok thanks for the info sub! :) it feels good now to know that snake oil crap is not worth it! i did read about the carbon rap and they mention doing wot to clean it out! i guess ill just stick with that method. today i just ran my tank to empty, filled it with a bottle of techron and followed it with 17 gallons of 93 unleaded gas... i will be hitting the high way in a little bit to see if i can clean more of that carbon out! i just have to be a little careful because i have a bad front motor mount! really looking around for somebody that could install one for me especially someone who has worked on deville and know what there talking about!

i talked to a few shops so far and one guy says "yes" i can do that! then he starting asking me questions about the car and if the engine should be lifted to install the mount! how the hell am i supposed to know? im coming to you buddy! lol....i guess he's out of the question..

sub do you know if anybody on this forum is from ohio? preferably closer to cleveland. i dont care ill drive a distance to have this mount installed properly! let me know!

i will post a thread asking! but thanks alot!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,022 Posts
Keep in mind that piston slap aka cold carbon rap sounds just like a collapsed lifter and only lasts for about 30-45 seconds after start up.

The engine does have to be lifted slightly to instal the front mount, but it's not rocket science and any shop should be able to do it. I think there is even a tutorial with a video in the Tech Tips section.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweet ranger! heres the thing! everybody i talked to about it including dealership quotes me anywhere between 300-600! im cool on that partner!! Im balling on a budget! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.