Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Fleetwood d'Elegance
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can take the Dimming Sentinel out of a 1987 and put it into my 1988 fairly easily? I wasn't sure if it would be easy to wire???

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
today, I pulled the wiring harness and related items for the dimming sentinel. after looking at the wiring diagram in the FSM, it looks fair straight forward in that I can simply plug it into the components and it should work????? would you agree? what else am I missing or overlooking???

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
I added Twilight and Dimming Sentinel to one of my 85 Devilles. It was a plug in affair. Very easy. I used the components from a 1986 for use in the 85. I am not sure if your 88 and 87 are compatible. I would imagine they are. The FSM will be your friend when checking this.

Since i already had my interior and carpeting out, I also upgraded my Stereo to the factory Bose. This was also a plug in installation. All that was needed was the Stereo, Speaker Amps and the Bose Wiring Harness. It then plugged in neatly. I also added a factory CB unit and added front seat back power recline. Again all plug in with the proper harness. In fact most of the optional accessories have there own wiring harness's that plug into the main wiring harness.

Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I too thought it would be easy in looking at both the 1987 and 1988 wiring diagrams. I need to get one or two more components that I forgot and then I'll be ready to install in mine. I like to add power recliner to the driver's seat to at some point. Didn't you have to get a power unit also for that to work?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spent some time at Pull A Part today and discovered the wiring harness and two connectors changed from '87 to '88. Unfortunately, I can't simply "plug n play" as I'd hoped. For one, it appears the headlamp dimmer switch is altogether different from that of the '85-'87. I guess it just isn't meant to have the Dimming Sentinel in the '88:(

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
The twilight sentinel control box....those are very tough to find in good working condition

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's correct.......unfortatenly, the wiring changed too much to make this a simply operation. My Fleetwood is an early '88 and I've not checked but maybe (although not likely) it has the wiring that was in the '87s.

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
Nope. 87 was the last year for it. The only way to add it to an 88 or newer is to grab all the parts and wire them in yourself.
So are you saying 88 did not have twilight sentinal at all? We're talking about lights going out after key is off, right? Or is the one that dimmed lights from high beam to low beam?

Oh, I guess I should read the header to the original post, "Dimming Sentinal". :hide:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts