Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 94 fleetwood, and when i'm driving it at night, i notice the dash lights and headlights dim while engine running. Alternator problem?? my friend said he's heard of the problem, but they just got rid of it (the car). I want to keep this car but it is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Look for posts here on it, there is some fairly recent ones.

But look at the alternator output. Autozone will test it for free.

If you are handy with tools, get a wrench and see if it is magnetically able to stick to the back center bearing of the alternator. This is a quick and dirty method to see if the alternator is even working. Just make sure that the cap is over the battery lead, else it will be a shower of sparks!!

Definately not something to sell the car over! Worst case a $100 fix at Autozone. Takes 20-30 min to replace, fairly easy (30 min for you V4P owners and cars with the Mech Fan), as it all has to come off.

Likely brushes are getting weak and worn down too short to make a good solid connection on the rotor anymore. These can be easily swapped for around $10 or less if you have some experience with working on cars to this level. Tools? 13mm wrench and stock, 15mm socket and wrench, breakerbar w/(3/4"???) socket to remove belt, 5/16" nut driver, 1/4" nut driver, soldering gun w/solder and a toothpick.... That is it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts