Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 DTS in 2011. The low beam headlights have always been too dim. I out drive the beam at about 50 MPH. At first I thought it might just be my eyes but I've driven plenty of rentals and other's cars since and it is definitely the DTS. Could the bulbs have gone bad so soon? Lights aren't aligned properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
2006 DTS
83 Posts
HID bulbs begin their demise the first time you switch them on, so depending on the amount of night-driving you do or the previous owner did (or using them during the daytime as running lights) they could just be worn out. They get weaker and weaker over time the more you use them and even shift in the color tint from the bright purplish white to a medium blue and then to a dim greenish color. They are not like the old filament bulbs which stay the same brightness until they go out. If they are the originals they are now 6 years old and probably need replaced. It's a chore to replace them as you have to pull back the wheel wells, loosen and drop the lower bumper covers, totally remove the headlight assembly, etc. (there are step-by-steps on here) but it's something someone with basic tools and a floor jack or ramps can do. I can say with the amount of labor involved, you don't want to scrimp on the replacement bulbs and while you have them out go ahead and replace the turn signals, daytime running bulbs, etc since its the same chore to replace them as well and those bulbs are cheap at any parts store. Sylvania makes an OEM HID bulb for about $100 each at Autozone or similar. There are cheaper generic knock-offs on eBay but you get what you pay for and don't want to have to do this install any sooner than you have to as it is a PITA. I could probably do each side in about 30 minutes each now but the first time you do it plan for an hour each side by the time you remove all the fasteners and hard-to-reach nuts and then reassemble. Otherwise I think it's pretty expensive for the dealer to replace them but that might be your only option if you don't want to tackle the chore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts