Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did search and found nothing really relevant. looking to upgrade my 89 deville to digital. junk yard by me has a couple around the same year. i guess i need 89-90 for it to fit rght. junked devilles are common around where im at so mileage matching should be that hard ... hopefully. if this is a new concept as far as being sucessful i'll give it a shot. gotta put new speakers in so may as well take a gander at the situation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great let us know how it works out. My friend wants to do the same with his 91 that now is analog. Problem is he could never find one with mileage close to his. He has 60 some odd miles and even concidered one with low 70's but could not find one under 100K. Even though our state stops tracking mileage on cars over 10 years old he could bring himself to adding significant mileage to his baby. In your travels let me know if you find any under the low 70's. If so I will pass it on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get the entire wiring harness with it. One connector on the digital dash is much larger and has more wires than the regular dash. I was going to do it to my 92 and I am a electronics engineer. Too much work. Drive the 89 when I want digital...

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
...Work for Delco electronics, or possibly use a pulse generator to get it to roll over. Search my username, I have quite a few posts concerning this subject. One even includes a wire by wire translation between the different plugs. as you know, not all clusters are the same. Some are even speed limited to 85! In your case, you should be Ok broadening your search to the 91-93 model years as well. The difference with those was the addition of a Change Oil Soon light. Since your car doesnt use it, just leave it disconnected.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
I cant speak for the method Birdie has in mind, as he, being an electronics engineer may have come up with a better way. But my method was to use electronics test equipment to make the cluster think your doing whatever max speed it will handle. Make the odometer roll over, and advance it to your current mileage.

When junkyard hopping, how do you check the mileage? Having the keys makes it easy, just use a jumper pack. But if not, rigging the ignition switch will do the trick (in effect, "hot wiring" the car.... if it didnt have PASSkey. but since the goal is NOT to start the thing, it works well for these purposes.) Just use some common sense. Some people are a little overzealous when part hunting, and pay little attention to inconvences like wire harnesses. Just make sure before you connect the jump box the car isnt likely to suddenly burst into flames.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't the 91's have 6 digits which means if you roll it up you end up at 101,000. Pulses? I think this is more technology then most of us have beyond applying 12 volts to point a and b that is most of our limits. Sounds like you need a great deal of equipment and or an electrical engineering degree. Could I send you a cluster from a junk yard and have you reprogram it for my friend? I will provide $'s to cover your time. I am not sure I can do what you're describing and there for I am back to the original problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
_____________, its owners and employees reserve the right to refuse any work if the customer suggests performing any illegal activity including but not limited to odometer fraud, odometer rollback, or similar.

In the case of a malfunctioning instrument cluster, or if the electronic memory device (such as EEPROM or MCU) is found to be defective, or if vehicle's mileage memory content has been corrupt, or if a used unit is required for proper service, the true mileage will be reprogrammed according to the information provided by the customer who will have read, understood, and signed this legal agreement. The customer shall then bare all responsibility for the accuracy of the information he/she provides, especially the true mileage statement.

__________ will not be held responsible for the legal consequences of any odometer work besides the electronic and mechanical functionality of the odometer. It is the costumer's legal responsibility to supply correct information to _____________, especially the true mileage of his/her vehicle as filled out by the costumer in the fill-out Work Order statement.

All work orders and signed legal agreements received by _______________ will be kept on file and may be surrendered to the proper authorities if required.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Milage is stored in a eeprom, Easily edited with any computer hex edit utility and chip reader/programmer. Above disclaimer keeps me legal on the topic discussing it.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont think they let me have a jump pack in there for safety reasons but i'm going to check in a few since i do have some time. didnt all digi dashes have 6 digits. what are we looking at as far as costs for the service. im at the right mileage to come aross one easily though so i shouldnt have a problem getting one close.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville
1,068 Posts
I know how to reset the ones that are analog, but Im not sure about the digital ones. There is a chip that is removable in the cluster that stores the mileage. I think you can send that off or something and it isnt that much.

Blaze

·
Registered
93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado
778 Posts
DaveSmed said:
I cant speak for the method Birdie has in mind, as he, being an electronics engineer may have come up with a better way. But my method was to use electronics test equipment to make the cluster think your doing whatever max speed it will handle. Make the odometer roll over, and advance it to your current mileage.
The max speed it will handle is 255 mph. Suppose you start off with a 100,000 mile odometer. It would have to advance it 900,000 miles to start over. How long would this take?
X hrs = 900,000miles / 255 mph
X=3529 hrs

3529 hrs /24 hrs in a day = 147 days.

You would have to run this pulse generator for 147 days or about 5 months to get it to roll over.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts