Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a 2001 Cadilliac Deville. And I am very happy with it. I just love the digital dash. It was one thing I really missed from my old 80's Luxury cars. I love the look of the new DTS and Would love to upgrade in a year or so. The only problem is I donot see a digital dash as a option. Is that a option to be offered on the new 2006 DTS or is going to be stricly analog? If so can the digital dash cluster from a 2000-2005 Deville fit the new dash? I know it is a odd question, but things like digital dash, 6 passenger seating and hood ornaments are what set a american luxury sedan apart from the foreign jobs. Thanks, Mark
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
NJCadillac said:
Hello, I just got a 2001 Cadilliac Deville. And I am very happy with it. I just love the digital dash. It was one thing I really missed from my old 80's Luxury cars. I love the look of the new DTS and Would love to upgrade in a year or so. The only problem is I donot see a digital dash as a option. Is that a option to be offered on the new 2006 DTS or is going to be stricly analog? If so can the digital dash cluster from a 2000-2005 Deville fit the new dash? I know it is a odd question, but things like digital dash, 6 passenger seating and hood ornaments are what set a american luxury sedan apart from the foreign jobs. Thanks, Mark
Not going to be offered and won't fit from an older model either. They're going for a fresher, more up to date look and feel with the DTS, so the most "classic" thing you'll see is the front bench option remaining.

But digital gauges? No. I'm fairly sure it will remain this way, since such a thing tends to be seen as throw back to the past, even though one or two oddballs, like the new '06 Honda Civic with a digital speedometer, might still show up every now and again.
 

·
Cadillac Technician
none
Joined
·
11,051 Posts
I think everyone likes the look of the analog clusters, with notable exceptions of course.
I drove all 4 versions of the DTS and didn't see anything but analog.
The new cars are using a new communication protocol called GMLAN. There is still some Class 2 architecture on the car but if it's a GMLAN module you aren't going to switch it with anything and have a functioning car.
Not to mention the design of the dash is completely different and you'd have to have a sawsall and some plastic putty to make it fit.
It's not a modification I think you'll ever see.
If enough folks complain they might consider a digital cluster in future models but don't hold your breath.
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
ewill3rd said:
I think everyone likes the look of the analog clusters, with notable exceptions of course.
I drove all 4 versions of the DTS and didn't see anything but analog.
The new cars are using a new communication protocol called GMLAN. There is still some Class 2 architecture on the car but if it's a GMLAN module you aren't going to switch it with anything and have a functioning car.
Not to mention the design of the dash is completely different and you'd have to have a sawsall and some plastic putty to make it fit.
It's not a modification I think you'll ever see.
If enough folks complain they might consider a digital cluster in future models but don't hold your breath.
All true, and I just don't think very many will ever notice--before we bought a '93 Fleetwood, I thought the digital cluster was really cool, but after owning and driving it a couple years, I think I'd rather have a stylish set of regular gauges that at least include a tach.

It was a cool thing, maybe, for the 80's and even the 90's, but its time has past, especially since automakers really started focusing on the design and attractiveness of their regular analog units and the use of such things as head up displays.
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
The beauty of the G Body Cadillacs in the DTS and STS was that you had Electroluminescent Gauges with a "hidden" Digital Readout you could call up or turn off if you wanted to, rather than the base Deville's Digital only option. It would have have been nice to see that carried over, but the new dash is very nice and clean
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
The beauty of the G Body Cadillacs in the DTS and STS was that you had Electroluminescent Gauges with a "hidden" Digital Readout you could call up or turn off if you wanted to, rather than the base Deville's Digital only option. It would have have been nice to see that carried over, but the new dash is very nice and clean
Hmm, forgot about that. Yes, I guess that would have been an interesting one to carry over.
 

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
Joined
·
655 Posts
I have an '03 DHS with the analog cluster but I use the digital speedometer all the time. In fact, when I rented a "plain wrapper" Deville with the digital cluster I was longing for my analog instruments - with the digital speedometer.

The new 2006 DTS has, even in the lowest 1SB package, what they call a "redundant digital speedometer" so even though I'll be gunning for the 1SD or 1SE - I'll have my digital speedometer. They come in handy in states like SC where the cops have no sense of give'n'take whatsoever...
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
hazcaddy said:
I have an '03 DHS with the analog cluster but I use the digital speedometer all the time. In fact, when I rented a "plain wrapper" Deville with the digital cluster I was longing for my analog instruments - with the digital speedometer.
The new 2006 DTS has, even in the lowest 1SB package, what they call a "redundant digital speedometer" so even though I'll be gunning for the 1SD or 1SE - I'll have my digital speedometer. They come in handy in states like SC where the cops have no sense of give'n'take whatsoever...
Hmm...didn't even know about that feature. Sounds like the best of both worlds, then.:)
 

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know that the 2006 would have a redundant digital speedometer. That would solve my problem. I wanted it for the same reason as hazcaddy in I do a lot of traveling especially in places where the police will allow no give or take for speeding tickets. Especially for people with out of state tags. I really missed it when I switched over to Mercedes for a while and found out the hard way that my speedo was off about 7 mph slower than I was actually going.
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
If your speedometer is off it is most likely at the ECM/BCM or sensor itself, not the actual gauges. If that is the case it doesnt matter whether your looking at your speed on a digital readout or the analog gauges, theyll both be wrong... Just something to consider.
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
If your speedometer is off it is most likely at the ECM/BCM or sensor itself, not the actual gauges. If that is the case it doesnt matter whether your looking at your speed on a digital readout or the analog gauges, theyll both be wrong... Just something to consider.
Just what I was about to say. Doesn't matter which speedometer it is--they're both calibrated the same.
 

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it is possible to make a analog dead on accurate? The only reason I ask is that the cars I had with digital were all within 1 mph of what it said I was going while only 2 of my cars with analog were accurate. I even had a New Ford Crown Victoria that was like a good 5 MPH off and it was new. Concidering that was my only brand new car and at the time the only car I ever had that was not atleast 7 years old it made me figure that analog was less acuurate. I guess I just got lucky on the car with digital.
 

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
Joined
·
655 Posts
You can actually check the accuracy of your speedometer if you have a GPS navigation system (I use OnCourse Navigator on my iPAQ). Somewhere on the display, depending on whose software you use, your speed can be displayed. (As I haven't seen the Caddy's built-in navigation system screen, I can't say whether the GM navi screen has the same feature).

You can compare this to your car's speedometer reading - usually you'll find that your car's speedometer will read a couple of mph faster than what your GPS navigation system says: courtesy of GM's legal department.

The GPS system's speed is just about infallible because it uses how fast you travel between 2 close-together points as seen by a bunch of satellites.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top