Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These cars don't want to let you know information.

There is no coolant temp, but I figured out how to get that from the Climate Control display diag mode (PCM pointer 24 and it is in degrees C)

There is no DIC like the FWDs of the time.

What - uncle Gerry and aunt Atric can't figure the buttons out?

There is also the oil life monitor but it does not show remaining oil life like the newer triple letter cars (CTS, STS, etc).

It only lights up "Change Oil". I'd like to know what the remaining percentage is.

Is there any way to dig that number out of the car's electronics?

It has to be there, otherwise how would it know to light the change indicator.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
On the 93-96 cars the change oil light just goes by mileage. 5,000 miles, it comes on. There's no sensor data or analysis being done. It isn't like the newer stuff that uses sensor data to calculate a percentage (your CTS would do this).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On the 93-96 cars the change oil light just goes by mileage. 5,000 miles, it comes on. There's no sensor data or analysis being done. It isn't like the newer stuff that uses sensor data to calculate a percentage (your CTS would do this).

That is Not correct. I had a fan problem that I didn't know of and I got a change oil light after less than 1,500 miles after my last change. After I changed the oil again and replaced the bad fan motor the next interval was over 6,000 miles.

The service manuals themselves (I have a few years) state that the system calculates oil life by temperature and revolutions (but not the 1996 manual). Pages 0B1 and 0B2 in book 1 mention the system, but don't go into details and I can't find the pages in 6E3 (book 2) about it because the TOC is terrible for section 6.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Interesting... now I'm curious. Never heard of the temperature variable.

Do you have any kind of tuning software for your car? You'd probably need that and a data logger to see what else is being tracked.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

No tuning software. I do have an Innova 3160G diag tool which is supposed to have tracking features. But I haven't figured it out yet. And I'm not sure how knowing the tracking data will help.

The GM Oil life system has been in place since 1988, and they stand by it.

However, since I like to change the oil in the STS CTSs at about 20 % I'd like to do this with the Fleetwood. I don't really want the light unexpectedly coming on at the beginning of a 1,500 mile round trip.

The remaining oil life per-cent has to be in the PCM or another module somewhere in the car's electronics.

I'll bet the dealers can retrieve the % remaining with a tech 2, but I don't have one of those. I'll ask them the next time I'm over there.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
826 Posts
It sounds like the little sticker in the windshield is hard to beat. Oil changes aren't supposed to be complicated. When my change oil light comes on I look at the sticker and say "Yup that looks about right"; usually 5-7k miles. I had my oil analyzed at 5-6k and they said it had lots of life left in it. Even the oil light isn't absolutely accurate because my oil is still good at 5-7k miles. It's pretty hard to have an oil related failure nowadays unless you never ever change it or run it low.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually change the oil on the Fleetwood myself so there is no sticker. And 3,000 mile intervals is Way too short. The GM system is accurate, but I'd like to know what the percentage is.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,111 Posts
Even on these cars, the OLM algorithm is complicated, taking into account key cycles, run time and probably a couple more things I'm forgetting. It's in the FSM.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even on these cars, the OLM algorithm is complicated, taking into account key cycles, run time and probably a couple more things I'm forgetting. It's in the FSM.
Hi Jay,

I know that it is a complex algorithm, and I have the 2 volume service manual, but where does the computer squirrel away the actual remaining percentage?? The manual says nothing about this. I'm sure the dealer with their tech2sd can dig it out. I was just wondering if there is a way for the rest of us to do so.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
You could get a chinese tech2 clone and see if it helps. Kind of a big investment for just this one job, but it's got some other applications too, I suppose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts