Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on my non Cadillac GM vehicle, one of which eventually Cadillac got thier paws on (just a shorter version...) sprung a pinion seal leak, and did damage to the R&P. I filled it up with GM recommended oil, no luck, R&P still howled.

So, in a moment of desperation, I filled it with Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer. Not to be an advertisement, but it lists differential use from 50% to 100%. So, why not I thought. Couldn't get worse than it is already.

Well, it did work. It is much quieter than it was, at least 9-12 dB quieter (3dB is double, or half, depending on which way you are going) Enough that I am not quite so worried about driving it. It was bad enough that we couldn't hear the kids in the back over the noise. Enough at the 40-50 mph range it was really bad.

Based on R&P wear on the gears, it looks like the forward wear is off to the side, backward is how GM pictures show it should be. So best I can tell, it is bad R&P wear on one face. The pinion gear had more wear on the teeth closest to the center of the pinion shaft. Scuffing is best to describe it.

So, if you end up like me with a noisy gearset and need a bandaid, this product might help.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after running it for one day, nada, doesn't work. It is back to being as noisy as ever. just had to get it hot enough.....

Now, how much sawdust do I use?

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Depends on what kind of wood you are cutting.:D
Banannas work too. Crush then and add.
These are techniques used in the used truck business.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have possibly lined up a 9.5" for my Sub for $400 (G80 too), so the new Eaton posi that is in the Sub now will go to the Cad (yeah!!) and the Sub will end up with a tougher axle. Then sell what is left.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for now, the diff noise is worse than ever, loud enough that you can barely hear the horn over the noise @ 60 mph. And it is now once warm, taking more power to maintain speed. Bad news if you ask me.

I hope to get the 9.5" this weekend.

Shameless Cadillac Content:
So, for any of you Escalade owners, 1999 MY (OBS, aka, Old Body Style), you can swap in the 95 and older K2500 6 lug rear axle as a bolt in. This rear end will dish out anything a Vortec 350 can deliver. And then some...
Time for a 454 swap eh?? It would do my heart good to see a 99 Escalade with a EFI Cadillac 500 under the hood, and naturally take it to the dealer for oil changes....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts