Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the appropriate gear oil for the 07+ plus Escalade Esv Awd?

Or Should I get another brand? Perhaps Mobil 1?

(Also, am I only going to need 5 for the differential?)
(I also want to do the transfer case. I was told I would need 2 qts for that of Dexron VI)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Front? Rear? Not sure.
Need a new gasket? Not sure.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
Really? Lol I think I've lost count how many threads there are on this.

You will need about 2 qts 75-90w for front diff, 2qts Dex VI transfer case, and 3qts of 75-90w for the rear diff.

Get which ever brand you prefer. You do not *need* a gasket for the rear diff, since it's reusable. I just replaced mine for the hell of it, with th same stock steel core rubber gasket.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Lol I think I've lost count how many threads there are on this.

You will need about 2 qts 75-90w for front diff, 2qts Dex VI transfer case, and 3qts of 75-90w for the rear diff.

Get which ever brand you prefer. You do not *need* a gasket for the rear diff, since it's reusable. I just replaced mine for the hell of it, with th same stock steel core rubber gasket.
Thank You. I also messaged you a question.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
No, GL-4 gear lube is the wrong gear lube. GM Requires a GL5 gear lube in this vehicle, GL4 does not have the correct extreme pressure additives that are required. DO NOT use a GL4!

API Category GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles operated under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications.

API Category GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of gears, particularly hypoids in automotive axles under high-speed and/or low-speed, high-torque conditions.

2007 Lube Spec's

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
GM is trying to keep the aftermarket business for themselves and they can make it difficult for comsumers to determine what lubes they can use.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I agree, but it's funny you say that. I had the dealer change my transfer case once, and they used some kind of gear oil and not Dexron, as what the vehicle calls for. I didn't know, until I went and changed it myself.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
The dealers can't be trusted. I had a friend who took his new truck to the Chevy dealer last winter and insisted they install Mobil 1 in the engine and he said he would gladly pay for it. Well to make a long story short, they did not install Mobil 1 but they charged him for it (said Mobil 1 on invoice). The tech wrote the CarQuest brand name on the window sticker and when he went to inquire (30 min later), they could not produce 8 empty Mobil 1 containers but the had 8 empty CarQuest Synthetic oil containers. He was irate to say the least. He knows now never to trust them again. They thought nothing of it, if they sell it you are supposed to accept it. He went and checked at Carquest, the oil cost about 1/2 of what Carquest was selling Mobil 1 for.

The dealers only recommend what makes them money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts