Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, was I right about this swap being not so bad???? Heck, you did it yourself! Nice work. I'm assuming your message of happiness to me was this cool post here! I didn't get any love here:sadeyes:
I like the beer of choice tool.
Ok nutz, THANK YOU TOO! :) You are right, it wasn't that bad!
I was asking nutz more about the steel diff housing, and how hard it was to install since he did it once and I think nutz told me the only "hard" part was the ball joint. In retrospect, I guess the entire hub/knuckle assy would have been "harder" ha. But thank you regardless.

:worship:Awesome writeup man:worship:

if you dont mind me asking, how much were parts? im trying to decide if getting an extended warranty would be worth it or not when i eventually get my v
Well it depends on what you can get a used diff for.....I think around around $500 is a good deal + shipping. The axles seals were around $30 for both, then 2 qts of diff oil was around $25 each (even though you only use 1 quart and a 1/4) and the lim slip additive is around $8. You still have to buy the 21mm Gear Wrench and socket maybe allen wrenches if you don't have them. I think an extended warranty is a EXCELLENT idea as long as it is a GM certified warranty from a certified dealer. (not knock off warranties from Acme Auto Sales or whatever ha) since alot of places won't honor non GM warranties.

It's two different things my man...

We appreciate the stronger casing and the effort you put forth. But until we can get that for a reasonable price, we look longingly but without any real hope for duplicating the feat. With this writeup, we have something that many of the common man will eventually need for himself. The diffs will most likely need replacement and now we have the pictorial with writeup.
I would've went with the steel casing in a second, but I can't afford the $$ for it. I definitely told Nutz he was a pioneer for making it though!!

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Did I read this right?

TBJS loves his nut case?

BTW to Lolly, great write up. Golf clap to you.

-Chris

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Define "a lot"... because I thought I answered a lot of questions... :lol:
I think I have about a dozen PMs and maybe some emails too...

At any rate, I think I have more credit at this point than I deserve, you can have some of mine. ;)

I do admire your efforts to get that steel diff built.
Wish it could get off the ground for you.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
How bout a steel diff sack? Possible cure for rupture due to dick hop?

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Can somebody email Reed and ask him to add this to the FAQ? Or tell me where to email him at? I'd hate for this to go to waste :)

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
76 Posts
That is a sweet write up. I just found out my front diff bushing is shot. I was wondering how to pull the diff, since I have a lift this should be a bit easier!

Thanks for the excellent write up!

Marco

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you get the extractor tool from PISINUOFF, then you don't need to remove the entire diff in order to get the bushing out. This writeup will still help with reference though

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Now THAT's a nice avatar lolly

21 - 40 of 63 Posts