Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to upgrade my 94 STS to a newer model. Any suggestions? Well I need to keep the price in the 30k area;-)

What year did the STS come with HID lights? Any major differences between the 2000 and 2001 years? Any other info appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
2001 is the year I specifically purchased and was the first year of major changes that were actually visible. HID Lights were NOT standard in 2001, but were available with the premium luxury package, which is what I had. Other visible differences inlclude 17" chrome alloy wheels versus the standard 16's. There were some other very subtle differences but the rest were under the carcas. 30K is actually shooting too high if you want an 00 or 01, Bob Moore autoplex currently has a 2002 Premium Luxury model in Crimson Metallic paint for 29 right now, and a 2000 STS for 19k with about 45k miles. I purchased my 2001 from them for 25k with 28k miles but got rid of it since due to many small annoyances. For this reason I would also suggest sticking with the newest possible. One MAJOR problem you need to identify when test driving the STS, or really any GM CAR back to about 1999 is whether you feel any jostle or bumpiness in the steering when you go on turns left or right, this is the result of a piss poor Intermediate Shaft design in the steering column that dries out over time. Dealers have a fix that basically involves relubing it but i fear this will not last, so the newer the better.

With that said, this will probably be my last post on CadillacForums.com. I have since turned the 01 back to the dealer I bought it from and basically moved from it to a 2001 BMW 330i for about the same monthly payment. The STS was great, but so far it had been in the shop once every week since I purchased it almost, and SERVICE STABILITY CONTROL on wednesday morning was the last straw. I have said and will always say if I have the opportunity to jump on anything german at a great price, no matter what category it competes in, I would not hesitate, and well.... I did.
Good luck!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry to hear you were served a lemon STS. How long did you have it for? And would you mind posting about all the problems you had during that time? It's always nice to hear when people are having a great Cadillac experience - but I also think it's very important to hear when people have had (or are having) a bad experience...

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Thanks for your interest Sal. Whats of importance here, is this STS technically WAS a lemon due to the intermediate steering shaft issue not having been properly assessed before. I had all the service records indicating the previous GM exec who owned it had it in multiple times and all the steering poo was replaced. They never properly identified the steering shaft as the problem so he turned it back in. It was really more of a combination of two things. Increasing fear of issues in the future when I run out of warranty, and a damn good deal on the little Bimmer. If the BMW price and terms were not where they were, I would have grudgingly accepted my Caddys annoyances but I couldnt overlook even the difference in resale value.

But for all those who want to know, the problems I experienced in LESS THAN TWO months were as follows:
*Replacement of both Crankshaft Position Sensors necessary to eliminate hard start and occasional total loss of engine power while driving. Took two and a half weeks to arrive due to national backorder.
*Seat bolster button plate and buttons broken, popped off all the time, replaced
*Heated Seats not functional in my seat and possibly in the rears as well, did not have this addressed because I dont really mind and I didnt want to become an annoyance to the Service advisor (I have seen cases where a regional VP can demand no more warranty money be put in to a vehicle and still not buy it back too!)
*Rattle in dash, was never able to determine what it was.
*Clunk and thud when turning wheel and moving over bumps developed shortly after purchasing, this was the issue that finally did her in with the previous owner. Re lubricated Intermediate Steering shaft.This problem was fixed approx a week or two ago and the beginning symptoms ARE COMING BACK. I hear that the only real fix is to get them to swap out a 2003 unit.
*Transmission began to occasionally "search" for gears at low RPM,very annoying when driving. I was going to have this looked at right before I traded it in.
*Service Stability Control warning came on Wednesday morning the 24th.

The 24th was the last day I owned the STS. I do not regret the purchase nor do I regret that I purchased it knowing what I knew. I think this STS was just a bad one besides all the stuff associated with the steering.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Wow. That's a pretty bad experience.. It certainly IS scary to think about the owner who's got no warranty.. I don't know what to think about that Regional VP being able to demand no more money put into a vehicle.. What are you supposed to do then? Go to court?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts