573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah lol. i was just wondering cause im thinkin about getting one as my DD

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
247 Posts
3.2 is older with timing belt instead of chain

3.6 has variable valve timing - is part of GM's High Feature line made in Ontario Canada.

Both cars have a lot of pick-up but I think the 3.6 is cosidered a more reliable engine.

I've heard the new engine components are made with very tight tolerances compared with older ones.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Two different engines with different lineage. The 3.2 is a bored out version of the Opel 3.0 V6 with an odd 54 degree bank between the cylinders. Belt drive for the four cams, two venturi throttle body.

The 3.6 was GMs all-new designed 'global engine'. Chain driven cams, variable valve timing, more mainstream 60 degree bank between the cylinders. The block can be cast in displacements from 2.8 to 4.0L and is used in Australia (Holden), as well as the new Chevy Camaro (direct injection model).

The 3.2 was used in all 03 models and manual trans 04 models, since the new 3.6 was not available until the 04 model year, and the higher torque tolerant Aisin 6 speed manual trans was not available until 05.

Also, all 3.2's came with single exhaust. The 3.6's all have dual exhaust. 220 HP vs 255HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts