Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Difference between Tahoe and Escalade suspension

13K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Playdrv4me 
#1 ·
I had a 2005 Tahoe 5.3L last year. I liked the roominess, but it wasn't very sporty. Not too fast and mushy handling. I got rid of it and bought an Infinity FX35. This is very nice and handles like a real sports car. V6 power is OK, but mostly at high RPM. The mai problem it is too small. I am a big guy: 6'3", 250 lbs. After 3 months, I just can't get comfy, and the rear storage is almost nonexistent.
SO I want to go back to a bigger SUV and maybe an Escalade this time. I am trying to determine if some of the shortcomings of the Tahoe are resolved in the Escalade. The bigger engine and more HP is big plus.
How about the suspension and brakes? Are they different? I am looking at a 2004 regular length AWD, btw. Most 2004s have 17"s, but I would be sure to find a set of stock 20"s soon after I get it.

Thanks

MIKE

#2 ·
The Escalade suspension is essentially the same as the Tahoe with AutoRide. GM has dialed in the ride on the GMT800 Series SUVs to a very competent level for their class, especially as compared with the Ford Expedition. Thus, don't expect much ride difference in the Escalade, but it will be slightly better if your Tahoe didn't have Autoride.

In an Edmunds.com 2003 Comparison test of full-size luxury SUVs the Escalade came out in FIRST place, even ahead of the venerable Lexus LX470... A big reason? Handling for such a large vehicle. It's not a Corvette, but it's good for what it is. The brakes suck though.

#3 ·
I didn't have autoride on my Tahoe.
I heard that the Silverado SS has the same powertrain and suspension as the Escalade. The Silverado SS' are supposed to handle well for a full sized truck.
I would guess the 20"s would be a big part of better handling over my Tahoe W/17"s.

#5 ·
i could be wrong but i dont believe the ss has the same motor as the escalde for one the ss makes 395hp and the escalade makes 340hp or something to that effect. i believe the ss comes with aluminum block and we have cast iron. correct me if im wrong i find my ext has great handling better than i could have expected.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Well I test drove an '04 Escalade. I guess I've gotten real used to the FX35 tight suspension because this felt like a boat. Very bouncy and soft. It felt like the shocks were wasted, and maybe they were, it does have 88K on the odometer. I did like the power, much better than my Tahoe. Of course the was the roominess and comfort, but i have gotten used to taking off ramps at maximum velocity. I might need to find something in between these two cars.

Of course if I get an Escalade, add 20s, lower it, new shocks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.