Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
i always thought 4wd was a vehicle that was able to not power the front axel and AWD was the perminent engagement of the front axel

as far as STS4 AND SRX4
at the delaership i work out i see the SRX underwent a change this year where the srx with the AWD option now wears a smaller number 4 next to the SRX nameplate ....

I have only seen one awd STS and it had no 4 anywhere on the car , but the holes in the oilpan were full of cv axel so it was definatly awd we dont see many here in florida ....

I think SRX and STS got the number 4 for 2006.5

dokoz , did fairbanks get a cadillac dealer or are you still running down to anch to pick them up?
Fairbanks has had a Cadillac dealer for 60 years but they've always had issues. The latest guys that bought it just had to pay $1.1 million in fines and settlements to the attorney general of the state of Alaska for screwing the customers. I went to Anchorage and negotiated a 0 down and 0% interest deal with about $14,000 off the sticker price. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

As far as I know an AWD has ways and means to allow every wheel to turn at a different speed so it can be used on a surfaced road. If you drive in a little fresh snow and make a wide turn you can see that every wheel makes a different radius track in the snow. To do this every wheel has to be able to turn at its own speed. A four wheel drive humps up if you try to drive it on pavement with 4WD engaged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...As far as I know an AWD has ways and means to allow every wheel to turn at a different speed so it can be used on a surfaced road. If you drive in a little fresh snow and make a wide turn you can see that every wheel makes a different radius track in the snow. To do this every wheel has to be able to turn at its own speed. A four wheel drive humps up if you try to drive it on pavement with 4WD engaged.

You are correct. The AWD system on the STS and SRX has 3 differentials. One on each of the front and rear axles and the third that splits the torque between the front and rear. The system has a rear bias in that under normal conditions the majority of the torque is sent to the rear. It's usually something between 45/55 to 35/65 I'm not exactly sure of the specifics on Caddys. These differentials allow all the wheels to rotate at different speeds as required for proper handling on dry pavement. The penalty for such a system is a loss of some horsepower at the wheels due to additional frictional losses along with the added weight of the extra equipment (a few hundred pounds).

As far as the diifference between an STS with AWD and an STS4 - it's the badge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an STS4, 2007 3.6L. It is all wheel drive, has over 200,000 miles on it and still drives like a champ. Gets 28.4 mpg @ 60 mph. I do all maintenance myself and check this site for all the difficult diagnosis. Bought car new with rear STS4 on trunk lid. Best investment of a vehicle I ever made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an STS4, 2007 3.6L. It is all wheel drive, has over 200,000 miles on it and still drives like a champ. Gets 28.4 mpg @ 60 mph. I do all maintenance myself and check this site for all the difficult diagnosis. Bought car new with rear STS4 on trunk lid. Best investment of a vehicle I ever made.
Carlyl turn wheel all the way to the right, now you can see if you have a drive shaft going to the inside of your passenger side tire

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
419 Posts
I have an 07 sts4 badged car but its 2wd unless I'm missing something. I just bought it so idk...
Hence KAOS' response. None of us have any obvious indicator as to your level of knowledge or experience, so when you make posts like the above you are going to see responses like the ones you received.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts