Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAs anyone seen both in person? I did notice the EC hood does not have a place for the w/w nozzles other than that they look very similar so who builds a better hood??

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Mallett
93 Posts
I'm hoping you get alot of responses here since I plan on getting one also. I've heard that they both need a good amount of prepping, which is crazy in my opinion. I've bought about a dozen glass hoods over the last few years. I only paid 1k once and it needed 1/2 hour of prep at most. If these hoods are this rough, they should be going for much less money.

Going off past threads, I got the feeling that Specter had better quality. But I like the EC since it has the vented power bulge option.

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
IMO.... And I have seen both.

The Specter is 1,000X better. The rear of the cowl extends right up to the windshield for a perfect fit. The Extreme Composites does not. The Specter has the windshield washer mounts in there proper place (just like the STS-V). The Extreme Composite hood does not.

IMO.... The Specter hood is the only choice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, the guys work hard on them so I will be sure to tell them to keep up the good work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I actually have an EC hood. I like the fact that the nozzles are NOT on the hood.

However, I was disappionted in the quality. I could not actually recommend them. I do NOT have the inserts as I was the second guy to get a hood but I do like the look of the inserts.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Yes, both our Extractor and Powerdome hood use all the factory hardware. Here is a pic of the the underside of the Extractor Hood.

·
Registered
'05 cts-v
106 Posts
Ive had 2 Spectre spoilers and 1 Heat extractor hood. Im not sure what the rumor was that Spectre needed alot of prep time? I couldnt be happier with my Spectre Heat Extractor hood. The winshield nozzles are spot on, the hood fits extremely well using all factory parts as stateed above. I have heard some horror stories about the EC hood just never getting to fit flush or mount correctly.
IMO...there is no choice. Spectre is the obly way to go.

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look very finished underneath! Are they all fiberglass ? wow I need to save up now how about a group buy??

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
That hood is all fiberglass, but it is not finished yet. Before we ship it we will still clean up the edges further on the inner and outer to minimize prep time.

We also offer these hoods in carbon fiber, but do not recommend them for street applications. The weave is larger on the carbon fiber tends to show through compared to the fiberglass that has excellent surface qualities.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
That hood is all fiberglass, but it is not finished yet. Before we ship it we will still clean up the edges further on the inner and outer to minimize prep time.

We also offer these hoods in carbon fiber, but do not recommend them for street applications. The weave is larger on the carbon fiber tends to show through compared to the fiberglass that has excellent surface qualities.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Can we get the heat extractor inserts on the power dome hood?

Not like the ones on the extractor hood you guys offer, but like the ones RGD has on the extreme composite hood.

And what exactly is the problem with the carbon fiber? Why is there an issue with quality? Is it a different manufacturing process from factory applications (M6 and E92 M3 roof / Z07 fenders)? Or even aftermarket applications? I mean there are certainly tons of examples of carbon fiber being swathed across any and everything imagineable (especially for the BMW crowd - trunks, roofs, hoods, splitters, side mirrors, interior appliques, yada-yada-yada). Why won't it work out? I mean, side mirrors seem to be a much more complicated shape to form then a more-or-less straight hood, no? Just tryna understand what the problem is. Plus, I really want the carbon fiber one. Don't need more weight over the front. Thanks.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
I have the EC cowl hood w/o extractors, but would not buy from them again-body shop put at least 5 hours of prep work into it before it could be painted.
Not sure if Extreme Composites is still doing business, and if so, are offering the hood; also not sure if anyone in the original GB opted for the extractor model-I think some owners wanted it but grew tired of the wait.
My hood had and still has fitment issues, playing with hinges and utilizing shims will help, but did not make perfect. Great upgrade, as it adds a few lines you will notice.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The EC hood is fantastic and needs little prep work. Its also just as nice on the inside as it is on the outside. Put the washers on the wiper blades. Why ruin a clean look by putting that plastic junk on a perfect surface?
A few of the first ones may have needed a little more work but mine was black and it looks factory. Took the shop 2 days to prep and paint it, no issues. Its also strong as hell. I did the original GP and started its construction for the forum. If anyone wants pics, e mail me your address. I dont have the space to post pics anymore.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

I can see the read through in the sun the which looks very cool - Be very gentle when opening or closing as they are very lite and flex to the touch.

Don't lean on it or press down as it could damage the lovely... This one took a minimum of 5-6 times block sanding to get a paintable surface without pin holes or lumps...

See my skateboard on the wall?...*grin*

Chef

1 - 15 of 15 Posts