Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS Raven Black
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05 to the dealer this past weekend to get the OnStar digital upgrade, tires rotated, and a few other things.

Over the past few months I've noticed a roar. I thought it was because of the tires...they were making a "wa-wa-wa" noise anywhere from 50-75 mph, and when coming to a stop there was a definite roar sound, which sounded like noisey tires on asphalt. So, I told the service rep about this, and in the back of my mind I was worried that it was something from the differential.

When I got the car back, the tech noted that the rear axle seal had been improperly set and I had lost most of the differential oil. I had never seen anything on the ground, and visually never seen anthing on the housing area. They replaced the seal and oil.

My question: if I had lost "most of the oil" what does this say about the damage to the differential? Is this going to be a long term problem? If there was still oil in there, would that have prevented any damage? Should I ask that they replace the differential?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I think you need to go to your service mgr and ask for his assistance so that you do not experience failure at 60k miles. If you take a reasonable approach with him, I suspect he will work with you. I would hope that he would cover replacement of the related parts.

Look for ewill3rd, good service tech here. He is the expert on stuff like this.

·
Registered
2005 CTS Raven Black
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I should have posed the question as a left axle pinion seal question. I did some searching on the web and found out that there are a few service bulletins on this seal problem....seems that the left seal fails often enough that there is some concern. I did call my tech and he "assured me" that there was nothing to worry about, (yea, right), that he has seen this at the dealer in San Antonio TX, and there should be no problem, there there was probably enough oil sloshing around in there to not cause any damage. Does GM have area reps that I can contact about this? I'd feel better about lodging my concerns at that level and not a service manager.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
You could always call Caddy Customer Care & express your concerns to them. They may have the dealership replace it & they may not, but even if they don't at least it'll be documented if you do have issues down the road that you have had prior issues with it & requested it be replaced.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Should I ask that they replace the differential?
They are not going to replace if it is OK in the eyes of the dealer. You lube loss may have been very gradual and not had any effect on the longevity of the axle.

While you assume the worst, it may never happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts