Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My diff has a very slight leak such that i run my hand underneath and pick up an oily film. Looked at the garage floor and see a couple of small spots where the rear is. Stupid question.....is this normal with all of you with V's???

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Join the club!
Been leaking since 500 miles on my new rear. Just a few drops from time to time.. This first rear did the samething, but died at 3K. Now theres 10K the on new one. I am waiting for this one to die, then maybe I will get the newer 06 rear. They say it's stronger.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willsctsv said:
Join the club!
Been leaking since 500 miles on my new rear. Just a few drops from time to time.. This first rear did the samething, but died at 3K. Now theres 10K the on new one. I am waiting for this one to die, then maybe I will get the newer 06 rear. They say it's stronger.
I have the 06 and now wonder if the leak is normal for this quirky car??

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
No the leak isn't normal it means you have bought a car that uses shitty differentials. They will continue to fail and when your warranty runs out you will have to pay for the diffs as they fail for $2K-$3K each. I'm on my 3rd diff and I have 9800 miles on my V.

Aren't you glad you bought a $50K car that uses shitty drivetrain parts?

·
Registered
05 cts v 06 2.8 cts
192 Posts
Many people on the forum have had repeated rear end problems .. others have none . It seams certain guys have had a lot and also guys with the maggie.. Maybe i know nothin but one cause we find in our shop is guys who downshit to to low a gear and do it alot usually buy a lot of diffs Just a thought !!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaveBlk said:
Many people on the forum have had repeated rear end problems .. others have none . It seams certain guys have had a lot and also guys with the maggie.. Maybe i know nothin but one cause we find in our shop is guys who downshit to to low a gear and do it alot usually buy a lot of diffs Just a thought !!!!
I hav'nt downshifted yet as i break in the car i have kept to lower RPM just to be safe. I have to think this is a screw not tightened or something simple...i have 700 miles now.

·
Registered
05 cts v 06 2.8 cts
192 Posts
Good way to break .. Don't drive it like you stole it for at least 3000 miles and always remember it's a machine and if you start out easier it will break in right..

·
Registered
827 Posts
On these cars a leaking diff is a sign of compromised structural integrity. Time to have it replaced with the improved 06 diff fwiw.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have found the drivers side cover to be the culprit on leaks. (short of a fracture)!
Both diff #1 and Diff #2 did a little weeping. Keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Here's a little weeping. :eek: Although it appears to be the passenger side.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
I have a 3.6 differential case that has cracked completely across where the rubber pinion bushing is. Never saw that one before.

Otherwise the rest of the case is completely intact.

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
I'm rather pissed because after I had my diff replaced I noticed a leak. The dealer said a seal is pretty typical. I had my right real seal replaced 3,000 miles and 3 months ago. Ever since then it has been whining. It started leaking a few weeks ago I think.
I told the dealer I am low on coolant again and it whines bad in 5th upon accel from 62-65. They replaced my water pump and stat for the coolant problem and teh TSB mentioned a whining noise. They claimed the couldn't hear any whining. Well, they never put on the RO about a whine in 5th on accel from 62-65 and they added a 1,000 miles to what I really have. They just seem to screw things up left and right and I guess I am too lazy to try another dealer. I'm waiting for mine to break unless I have another good reason to bring it in. I only have a B&B exhaust.
This rear obviously sucks and my dealer needs a bit of help too. I told my service mgr about this site and I hope he reads this. I doubt it since he didn't have the courtesy to reply to an e-mail note I sent him months ago. He doesn't seem too computer savy.
Sorry to vent but get used to it, the rears suck and any leak is not right. I say take it back at least for them to look at it before they blame it on your abuse.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
CVP33 said:
Here's a little weeping. :eek: Although it appears to be the passenger side.
Good one, I see the BMR support kept the front intact, didnt help the case however. I think this one's bawling.:crying:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ryan's '05-V said:
I'm rather pissed because after I had my diff replaced I noticed a leak. The dealer said a seal is pretty typical. I had my right real seal replaced 3,000 miles and 3 months ago. Ever since then it has been whining. It started leaking a few weeks ago I think.
I told the dealer I am low on coolant again and it whines bad in 5th upon accel from 62-65. They replaced my water pump and stat for the coolant problem and teh TSB mentioned a whining noise. They claimed the couldn't hear any whining. Well, they never put on the RO about a whine in 5th on accel from 62-65 and they added a 1,000 miles to what I really have. They just seem to screw things up left and right and I guess I am too lazy to try another dealer. I'm waiting for mine to break unless I have another good reason to bring it in. I only have a B&B exhaust.
This rear obviously sucks and my dealer needs a bit of help too. I told my service mgr about this site and I hope he reads this. I doubt it since he didn't have the courtesy to reply to an e-mail note I sent him months ago. He doesn't seem too computer savy.
Sorry to vent but get used to it, the rears suck and any leak is not right. I say take it back at least for them to look at it before they blame it on your abuse.
I feel your pain...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62252

V

·
0 Posts
Someone made a good point about the breather hole somewhere on top of the diff. Either becuase of over filling or high lateral load that would be seen on a race track.

Determining where the hole is might eliminate the possibilty that a dealership might misdiagnose. Not that they might do that based on some of your experiences. :)

Norm

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i took it in because i had several small spots on the garage floor so either it was overfilled at the factory or i have a problem . Better to get something on the record w/ the service dept early. I hope it is nothing though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts