Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,137 Posts
Completely different engines. Different block and heads. Truck engines have longer stroke, lower redline and lower timing and are designed for more low end power.
Thank you for your explanation. Appreciated!

Max

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now that people have had a little more time with their Duramax Escalades.... any new thoughts? Any issues? Towing experiances?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now that people have had a little more time with their Duramax Escalades.... any new thoughts? Any issues? Towing experiances?
I love mine. I have tried a lot of vehicles in last 4 years (2019 expedition / 2020 navigator / 2020 diesel ram 1500 / 2021 Yukon Denali / now 2021 Escalade sport diesel)

with 2021 Denali - I was getting 16mpg with 2021 Escalade dieselI getting 25 city and if I keep it under 75 - I get 31mpg

I tow 6000 lbs boat and it ties wondefully - all that low end torque.

the duramax diesel Is much quieter than ram ecodiesel and minimal if no turbo lag (that was my big issue with ecodiesel ram - huge turbo lag)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love mine. I have tried a lot of vehicles in last 4 years (2019 expedition / 2020 navigator / 2020 diesel ram 1500 / 2021 Yukon Denali / now 2021 Escalade sport diesel)

with 2021 Denali - I was getting 16mpg with 2021 Escalade dieselI getting 25 city and if I keep it under 75 - I get 31mpg

I tow 6000 lbs boat and it ties wondefully - all that low end torque.

the duramax diesel Is much quieter than ram ecodiesel and minimal if no turbo lag (that was my big issue with ecodiesel ram - huge turbo lag)
Awesome, thx. Looking forward to the day I can finally get my hands in one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered our Escalade today and the only option I was not sure about was diesel. I'm concerned it won't have enough pep and responsiveness at highway speeds. I have a 2021 F350 with the 6.7L turbo diesel and it is flat out the BEST engine I have ever had the pleasure to drive. I mean the power and responsiveness is insane. It doesn't matter if you are coming off the line or going 70 on the freeway, there is always more power and it is damn near instant. These turbo diesel are nothing like they were 10 years ago. The "diesel delay" is nowhere to be found and it isn't much louder than the gas versions.

However, GM went a different route and seems to have targeted mpg more than performance. I just cannot imagine that a 3L with 275 horses will have the same responsiveness and power (or even close to it) as the 6.2L 8 cylinder. I would love to get the diesel but don't want to take the chance on it being sluggish at higher RPMS. I realize the torque is the same and I realize the torque (like all diesels) comes on at much lower RPMs. I'm sure it's great in the city but what about highway driving? If GM had opted for a more powerful diesel there would be no doubt that I would have ordered it.

If anyone has taken delivery or test driven the diesel I'd love to hear your opinion. We have about a week to make any changes to our order.
Hello …. ordered and received my platinum sport with a diesel and it is fantastic! My previous vehicle was an GLS AMG63 premium gas guzzler. We drove it from Arizona to Washington through all the passes averaging 28mpg and the highest we received on this trip was 35mpg - passing is excellent and the mid range get up and go is there because of torque so I am not missing my V8 at all. As I am getting use to the vehicle I have gone through some of my local area corners at the same speed as previously traveled with my old suv and it handled like a charm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello …. ordered and received my platinum sport with a diesel and it is fantastic! My previous vehicle was an GLS AMG63 premium gas guzzler. We drove it from Arizona to Washington through all the passes averaging 28mpg and the highest we received on this trip was 35mpg - passing is excellent and the mid range get up and go is there because of torque so I am not missing my V8 at all. As I am getting use to the vehicle I have gone through some of my local area corners at the same speed as previously traveled with my old suv and it handled like a charm.
Awesome. At some point I was also looking at Arizona dealers and driving back to the Seattle area. Great to hear your thoughts on the Duramax. thx.

·
Registered
2013 XTS & 2016 Escalade
37 Posts
After 1,300 miles, I'm still happy with my choice of diesel, and in my opinion, the trade offs are minimal. The low end torque makes it feel more car like, but I do miss the growl from my 2016 Escalade. Sometimes, after loading the rear hatch, I'd leave the door open, get behind the wheel and start the engine just to hear more of it, then I'd hit the console button to close the hatch from the front seat. Also loved the pep of the V8, but it averaged 15 - 16 MPG, so my 60 mile daily commute means I filled up EVERY week. NOW, I'm averaging 25 MPG and kinda feel like I'm commuting a few days for free each week. I thought the noisier engine might detract from the smooth luxury feel I got from my V8, but inside the cabin I can barely hear it.

Not gonna lie, I DO miss the punch when doing a quick acceleration to pass on the highway, and I'm still getting used to using DEF. When I took delivery, the DEF tank was half full, so I added 2.5 gallons, and the level rose to 3/4. Then one day this week after 1,200 miles, I noticed it had suddenly dropped right back down to half full. I was expecting to see it decrease gradually. And regardless of whether the tank is 1/2 full or was 3/4 full, the Cadillac App on my Iphone shows a DEF status of "Low".

Also starting to notice when it's going through a cleaning process, because the engine is noticeably louder and seems to run more harshly for awhile.

Eventually, when I need service, and inventory is available, I'm sure I'll get a V8 Escalade as a loaner which will give me a chance to experience the path not taken, but the way I feel now, If I had to replace this one tomorrow, It would be with another Diesel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After 1,300 miles, I'm still happy with my choice of diesel, and in my opinion, the trade offs are minimal. The low end torque makes it feel more car like, but I do miss the growl from my 2016 Escalade. Sometimes, after loading the rear hatch, I'd leave the door open, get behind the wheel and start the engine just to hear more of it, then I'd hit the console button to close the hatch from the front seat. Also loved the pep of the V8, but it averaged 15 - 16 MPG, so my 60 mile daily commute means I filled up EVERY week. NOW, I'm averaging 25 MPG and kinda feel like I'm commuting a few days for free each week. I thought the noisier engine might detract from the smooth luxury feel I got from my V8, but inside the cabin I can barely hear it.

Not gonna lie, I DO miss the punch when doing a quick acceleration to pass on the highway, and I'm still getting used to using DEF. When I took delivery, the DEF tank was half full, so I added 2.5 gallons, and the level rose to 3/4. Then one day this week after 1,200 miles, I noticed it had suddenly dropped right back down to half full. I was expecting to see it decrease gradually. And regardless of whether the tank is 1/2 full or was 3/4 full, the Cadillac App on my Iphone shows a DEF status of "Low".

Also starting to notice when it's going through a cleaning process, because the engine is noticeably louder and seems to run more harshly for awhile.

Eventually, when I need service, and inventory is available, I'm sure I'll get a V8 Escalade as a loaner which will give me a chance to experience the path not taken, but the way I feel now, If I had to replace this one tomorrow, It would be with another Diesel.
Yes... weird things happen when doing a DPF burn. But you eventually get used to it.

For me the 6.2 was just too lazy of a motor. Sure, it can sound good, but it doesn't perform very well for the displacement. The 3.0 is sort of the best of both worlds in a lot of ways. I don't care one bit about MPGs... and I still went with the Duramax.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m usually not a fan of modern diesel engines due to how complicated they are but it seems like the N/A motors from GM don’t last either anymore. Moral of the story - there’s no way in hell I would own this out of warranty so I would have opted for the Duramax but there was a longer wait according to dealer. The boat anchor 6.2L will suffice. I can’t believe how slow it feels. Definitely needs a blower on top!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts