Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a didn't get killed story. I was headed south on a rural four lane in East Tennessee when a late model Corvette pulled on the highway. He caught up to me and ran side by side for a minute or two. He then kicked it hard, I had no passenger so I thought "what the hell". I was doing about 65-70mph when the Vette nailed it, so I nailed it too. Traffic ahead in my lane, so I pulled in behind the Vette. I was about two to three car legnth's behind since he got the jump on me. I hung with him through the traffic, then open road ahead. We were doing 125-130mph when he then I let out of it. The whole thing only took a minute or two, but it felt longer. He never got more than four or five car legnths ahead, and I thought the Caddy held its own. I pulled up next to him and we exchanged waves. I did motion for him to roll down the window and as he did I said "Bet you didn't think a Cadillac could hang with you". He smiled and nodded in agreement. The Allante Northstar didn't get killed, but I felt pretty good. I must have been a C-5, because the Z06 would have chewed me up and spit me out. I just wish that we could have hit it at the same time.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
your right the Z06 is one screamin machine

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Way, way, way off topic.. (I just split the thread) Jeez.. Otherwise.. Yes, it had to be a regular Vette. Though I thought they were pretty powerful up top.. Then again, so is the Northstar.. And yes, of course - the Vette is a world class sports car because of its handling... Afterall, it's the handling that gets a car into the 'sports' class...

Attachments

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sal,

I don't go looking for Vette's to race, but I don't back down either. I got too much to lose by street racing, but on an open road its nice to see what it will do and if its next to a hot car....all the better.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
One other thing I think you're forgetting Allante,
The way you explained the race, it sounds like you were drafting the Vette. If you were just hanging in BEHIND the Vette, you're in for a let-down if you ever run one side by side.
I'm guilty of the same thing myself but once you learn about how drafting works, you gotta admit that the car in the rear has a HUGE advantage.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Allante is no M3, but the Northstar did quite well IMHO. What an rush to go that fast in such a short period of time. It only took a minute or two and I would guess about a mile or two of highway, but it sure felt longer. It got my heart pumping pretty good, and I would love to meet him again.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I was close egnough to draft him, but maybe. I would have been content to stay in my lane if it were not for traffic in front of us. I don't put my Caddy in the same class a Vette's, or any Caddy as far as that goes. Things may have been alot different if I had a lane of my own to drive in, but until I meet him again we'll never know. I'm just tickeled that his taillights didn't keep getting smaller.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The BEST one I ever had was a few years ago. Not the best because I won, or was even close. It was the best because of WHAT I was racing against.
I was on my way home from a GM school in my '92 Formula. It was a damn fast car but what I was about to see would change me forever. Up ahead, I saw a black car sitting rather low and I couldn't tell what it was, which was rare in itself. By the time I got caught up to the car (the next light), I found myself behind a brand new Diablo (as in Lamborghini). The light turned green and we both took of fairly slow. At about 30mph he finally hit it.
That SOB took off from me like I was standing still!!!!!
Yeah, I tried to keep up but truth be told, we was damn near out of sight in moments. I GOT SMOKED!! but my heart couldn't stop pounding, my mouth couldn't stop smiling.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your gonna get killed, its nice to be killed by a real high performance ride like that. When I went to the dragstrip last fall, I lined up next to a piece of sh*t rice burner with no hood that got me by 1/2 second. Now that hurts! There was a Z06 there, but I did not get to run him. A 2001 Z28 with some nice HP mods did run against me and humbeled me pretty quick. Of course he had about $5,000.00+- in mods under the hood. He was a friend of mine that invited me to the track, so I guess the polite thing to do was let him win. LOL

Maybe some day I'll find a sucker with a hot car that can't drive and misses a shift, then I'll be back tooting my horn a bit louder. If not, I'll grin and bear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I know how you feel. How about this one.
My son has a '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V which is a pretty quick car. We both went to the track last fall to see what our cars could do. On our first run, he lined up against a Viper, and I got a Twin-Turbo Supra. How's THAT for luck? The rest of my nigh wasn't much better either.
Run 2 - a ricer w/ mods and nitrous
Run 3 - a '70 442
Run 4 - a Pontiac FireHawk
I DID manage to beat the 442, and I was only 2 tenths behind the ricer. But the FireHawk SMOKED me. What the hell, I was there to play with MY car and see what I could do. That night got me a best of 14.7 and I went home FAIRLY happy.
The next time I went I only raced "B" bodies, Impala SS's and Caprices. That night was better, I only lost 2 runs that night and ended up with my best time yet, a 14.5

Attachments

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice runs! i have not been to a 1/4 mile track yet. A few of us here have talked about going to Thunder Valley in Bristol, TN this spring. I really look forward to it. Did you get to line up against your son? I hope you kicked his butt.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
What is God's name is Drafting?!?! :)
Drafting is driving *directly* behind another vehicle (as in *real* close) so as to be in his "wake" and save fuel due to decreased wind resistance while waiting to "make your move".

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sal,

You need to watch more NASCAR races or at least tune in to the Speed Channel and watch RPM tonite. The lead car cuts the air and the second car travels in the slipstream with less air resistance. If you get behind an 18 wheeler you will notice that you don't need as much throttle to keep the same speed. When you nail it you can slingshot around the car/truck in front of you.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
So tailgating is good? :D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, In certain circumstances.....But they're NASCAR related! Ya think??

Oh! yeah....(He added later) Leave it to a damned Texas driver to start complaining about tailgating. ( I'm visualizing some guy in a pickup truck with a big ass cowboy hat hunched over the wheel at 90 mph 3" off my bumper screamin "Don't Mess With Texas!"):D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Yeah, I did line up once against my son, and once against his freind with a new Maxima. Smoked 'em both. My son's best E/T is still .5 behind my best (different nights).
As for "drafting", you DON'T have to be that close to benefit from the car in front. The closer, the better but even at a couple car lengths or more you'l still be getting pulled.
I used to get in behind trucks on my bike and just sail along with almost no throttle. the only problem is on a bike you can get tossed around in the wind currents if you don't stay dead center and close in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts