Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after reading about the sunroof drain issue + living in WA 馃槵馃檮 i decided its great insurance against a expensive repair. The carpet cover pops right out (there are 2 plastic pin things at the very rear you have to pop out), release the quick disconnect lift arm and remove the carpet cover

next use a T30 torx bit to remove the 6 screws holding the in aluminum channel and remove the channel - now the foam insert lifts right out.

The water collects at the very rear of the compartment under the control module and gate motor, which sit 1/2 inch above the floor (jackasses). To drill a few 1/4 holes on both sides of that location you will need one of these (or remove the electronics and brackets). The holes you make are way up under the bumper so nothing is gonna get up there

Also be sure to Vac out all the dirt and derbies so if it ever does leak in there it wont plug up the holes

Steve

Attachments

Reactions: WILLY92

Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
I did this also after replacing the flooded module. I used a quick shot of spraypaint to protect the drilled holes. Cheap insurance. Also blow out the sunroof rear drain lines to prevent the flooding.

Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
you cant see the holes they are under the foam insert beats the Sh*t out of climbing over the back seat taking apart the tailgate to pop it then digging down to the module AND the tailgate motor assembly

Registered
I did this also after replacing the flooded module. I used a quick shot of spraypaint to protect the drilled holes. Cheap insurance. Also blow out the sunroof rear drain lines to prevent the flooding.
We blew out the drains but still had water collect in well so I drilled holes for it to drain on a 04 srx. Thought I was the only one that did that!

Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
I've been doing that to my cars that had a water leak since the 70's. But back then there was a rubber plug in the floor that you would just remove. They stopped using the the plugs in the 90's.

Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
That's funny. I did that to a Monte Carlo I bought in Houston. The door rubber was pretty ratty and didn't seal all that well. First time drove it after a big rain I hit the brakes and suddenly had cold wet feet! What a surprise that was. Geez I hate to drill holes in the caddy though.

Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
Just for the record, I tested all 4 drains and they all are working fine. Sometimes it seems like these cars are total train wrecks, with many defects. Think it's good to keep in mind that for every complainer there are likely thousands of others that are having a good ownership experience. So far my issues with the SRX are minor and this is has been the case with the vast majority of my GM purchases.

Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
The thing that bugs me though, is yes, I check the drains regularly, but probably the first indication that there is an issue will be the lift gate module dying on me. So does this checking REALLY do anything other than instill false confidence?

Registered
2014 SRX Lux
but probably the first indication that there is an issue will be the lift gate module dying on me.
Bingo! My thoughts exactly.

For those who park outside especially under trees I'd recommend drilling a hole. It's a hole in the spare tire well, not in the middle of your hood.

That said I have not drilled. Don't see the need in my case. Always garage kept and never open the roof. (Well, one time last year to check for cleanliness...spotless.) The car is washed once a week in the summer and twice weekly in the salty winter. What little water that gets in the track drains as it should.

Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
Based on the posts, I cleared and checked all my drains when I first got the vehicle.
Despite that, anytime there is a torrential rain or hurricane remnants, (I live in NJ) I check the side compartments and under the floor.

I doubt that a single storm can collect enough water to cause the issue, but can reveal itself early to indicate a problem before catastrophic failure.

And after every car wash I am looking to see the drainage working correctly.

Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi mothership - you do understand the water collects under the foam insert in the well and kills the module living under there right? :)

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts