Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 DTS Performance...

Both remotes stopped working, as well as the TPMS. I was leaving on a road trip in 2 days so left with little choice but to have the dealer repair it.

I was told that the receiver (part #20803735) had an internal short and needed to be replaced.

When we picked the car up I saw that we had been charged for 2 new transmitters at $135.90 each as well (#20935331) even though on the diagnostic report is states that the old remotes were good. When I questioned this I was told that the new remotes come with the module, and that my old remotes would not work with the new receiver. I was also charged for a new antenna (#25881864). I've purchased remotes on eBay in the past for a small fraction of that, and there has never been a problem programming them to the car. When I asked for the old remotes back I was told they no longer had them.

Total repair...$834.05. Plus tax.

And then a kicker...when I got back from vacation I had an email from the dealer stating that since I did not have the repair done they were offering to do it at a 15% discount, so I apparently paid $125 that I didn't need to pay. I responded to ther email asking for a refund of that amount, but curiously have not received an answer.

So, did the fobs really need to be replaced? Are they indeed included with the receiver? Am I due a 15% refund?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
You did NOT need the new FOBS...
Your existing fobs could have been programmed to your car easily.
If new fobs had been included with the receiver there would not be an extra charge for each one of the new fobs.

In my opinion... they owe you a lot more than 15 percent off...

Receiver price on ebay... about $45 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GMC-Cadillac-Keyless-Remote-Receiver-2010-/110935533243?hash=item19d445e6bb&item=110935533243&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Receiver price at GMpartsgiant... $61.18
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-receiver-20803735.html

Even FULL DEALER RETAIL is only $90.68
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Chevrolet/Equinox/RECEIVER-Door-Electric-and-Vacuum-Locks-Door-Lock-Remote-Control-Inside/2932683/20803735.html

I see no reason that you would need a new antenna... it just plugs into the receiver module.
But even if you did...

The antenna is only $16.45 on AMAZON...
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25881864-Control-Receiver-Assembly/dp/B0049ZH7U8

The antenna is only $20 bucks on ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-OEM-RDO-ANTENNA-CABLE-ASSY-CADILLAC-DTS-/251208024117?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7d2a4035&vxp=mtr

I believe I would try to talk (nicely) to the owner of the dealership about this.
In my humble opinion... you were grossly overcharged.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
'41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade
132 Posts
Well, the problem is that there is a ton of overhead that needs to be paid for at the dealer which is ultimately covered by the customer. So it is what it is. Do your research beforehand next time. I have an aftermarket eBay remote, looks pretty close to original equip. and works perfect. Probably around $20. Easily programmed to my car. As far as what they charged you... pretty standard. Price of part multiplied by 4 to get your total bill is a good rule of thumb that I go by to estimate the dealer's price for a job.

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the dealer's overhead, and I don't mind paying for what I NEED. I do not, however, appreciate being sold something I do NOT need and being taken advantage of. If a dealer can't make it being honest they have no business being in business.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac DTS, 1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
197 Posts
I agree , some dealers are actually good some just take advantage and don't really know what their doing,

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
I expect Katie or someone working Cadillac Customer Service to get involved in this. To the OP, you should identify the dealer and/or the area you are in to assist the Customer Service people. I predict a refund and a happy ending but again, you need help from the Cadillac corporate people.

12,778 Posts
StuJac, thanks for bringing my attention to this thread!

I understand the dealer's overhead, and I don't mind paying for what I NEED. I do not, however, appreciate being sold something I do NOT need and being taken advantage of. If a dealer can't make it being honest they have no business being in business.
Bluescat, I'm so sorry to read about your confusion and disappointment with your dealer's fob resolution. If you would like me to investigate further for you and contact your dealer on your behalf, don't hesitate to email me at [email protected] for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

The dealer cites a TSB as the reason they replaced the fobs and antenna, and they emailed me a copy of the bulletin. However, I don't think by my symptoms, or their diagnosis, that the TSB is applicable.

Both remotes suddenly stopped working, as did the TPMS. The diagnosis was an internal short in the receiver. There were no additional messages or issues.

The bulletin they are citing is #07-08-52-001C.

·
Registered
746 Posts
So if the TSB said replace the Receiver, fobs, Antenna and also replace all 4 tires, that would be ok.
Come on wake up and smell the roses I can give you a good deal on the Brooklyn Bridge

The dealer broke the law in so many ways.

You only authorize the receiver. They have to call you to ok any additional work by law.
They need to put it on the RO. Time and date and who they got the ok to do the extra work from.

·
Registered
'41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade
132 Posts
Unfortunately, without having the parts in front of you, or you doing it yourself, you never know. Maybe the antennae was a newer model and the old transmitters work on a different frequency?

To a tech, time is money. He might have taken the shotgun method and replaced everything that might have been the problem at once. New antennae and new remotes leave not much else to be wrong. Replacing the antennae and then having to order new remotes if it still didn't work, might keep your car in the shop another day and you did state that you needed to leave with the car for a trip in two days.

The important thing is your car was fixed and you got it back when you needed it. If your not happy with the price or you don't trust them anymore, go somewhere else next time.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Andrew224

You don’t get it The Dealer broke the LAW, He only authorize the replacement of the receiver.

It’s same receiver from 2006 to 2011 and fits other GM cars, so the fobs would work (no different frequencies)
the tech has to program it to the model of car. Also the TPM’s

“””Unfortunately, without having the parts in front of you or you doing it yourself, you never know.
Maybe the antennae were a newer model and the old transmitters work on a different frequency?””””

Well if they did give him the old fob’s He could program them to his car and prove the dealer was wrong. How convenit of them.

The Antennae is a 28 in piece of 20 gauge wire, with a Plug connector on one end and tape on the other end. Real easy to check if it’s shorted with an Ohms meter. Time 5 min’s

“””To a tech, time is money. He might have taken the shotgun method and replaced everything that might have been the problem
at once. New antennae and new remotes leave not much else to be wrong. Replacing the antennae and then having to order new
remotes if it still didn't work, might keep your car in the shop another day and you did state that you needed to leave with the car
for a trip in two days.””””

I take great offence to you calling him a tech. He’s called a parts replacer. He keeps replacing parts till its works. Your tech would do this
for a car not starting 1) replace the battery 2) replace the alt, 3) ask a real tech for help. They put gas in the tank, but the customer
paid the bill and only needed a few gallons of gas. That’s what gives good tech a bad name!!! That’s why TECH’s should be license.

“””””The important thing is your car was fixed and you got it back when you needed it. If you’re not happy with the price or you don't trust them anymore, go somewhere else next time””””

Now you say( important thing is your car was fixed and you got it back when you needed it.)

Now what if they took all his money for the trip to pay the bill. They will not give him his car with paying the bill..

Now Andrew224 if the shoe was on the other foot, would you take your own advice or try to get your money back???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts