Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, to make the long story short yesterday on the way to work i got a message regarding my fuel cap being open and then the check engine following the message so anyways i pulled over to check and to my surprise the gas cap was completely open. Now here is when it gets interesting i did not put fuel in 3 days so if left the cap open at the gas station 3 days ago i would get the message right away, right??? So now im all paranoid may be someone sugared my gas tank.. u know this world is full of haters. So here is the question:if someone did sugared my tank would it take affect right away or how long do i have to drive before it kicks in???
thx:bigroll:

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
sup guys, to make the long story short yesterday on the way to work i got a message regarding my fuel cap being open and then the check engine following the message so anyways i pulled over to check and to my surprise the gas cap was completely open. Now here is when it gets interesting i did not put fuel in 3 days so if left the cap open at the gas station 3 days ago i would get the message right away, right??? So now im all paranoid may be someone sugared my gas tank.. u know this world is full of haters. So here is the question:if someone did sugared my tank would it take affect right away or how long do i have to drive before it kicks in???
thx:bigroll:
From howstuffworks.com: For some reason, there is a popular and common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Rumor has it that if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, it will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines and so on.
It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply is not true. As it turns out, sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. It would be about the same as pouring sand into the gas tank. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that would disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Sugar in a tank is not nearly as disastrous as the urban legends lead you to believe. If it ever happens just drain the tank and put on a new fuel filter and you're good to go.

*Edit- Juniorverse beat me to it*

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
It was more likely someone STEALING your gas. :alchi:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
Granulate sugar is not effective as a disabling agent. You should use powdered confectioners sugar. At least with carbureted engines it will go right past the filters.

·
Registered
2007 STS AWD, 1SB, Nav, Chrome wheels and moonroof
161 Posts
I think that Mythbusters came to the conclusion that sugar will not kill your car a few years ago.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
From howstuffworks.com: For some reason, there is a popular and common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Rumor has it that if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, it will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines and so on.
It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply is not true. As it turns out, sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. It would be about the same as pouring sand into the gas tank. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that would disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.
Thanks for info; sand is not as expensive as sugar. Even the bad hombres like to save money. LOL

·
Premium Member
28,969 Posts
In a dispute between two trappers who used small aircraft to reach their traplines, one aircraft suffered an inflight engine failure that the FBI Lab in Quantico, Va. in conjunction with the FAA determined to have been doctored with powdered sugar. Sabotage of any aircraft is a federal felony. I was involved with the original teardown and the engine internals were a mess. The valves and rings were covered with a mess that resembled candy that had boiled over on the stove. I am aware that granulated sugar will not dissolve in petroleum and is thus trapped in the gas tank but powdered sugar can migrate through the relatively coarse filters in older machines. In an argument between the FBI lab and Mythbusters I know who I will believe.

·
Premium Member
28,969 Posts
Thanks for info; sand is not as expensive as sugar. Even the bad hombres like to save money. LOL
I tore down an aircraft engine that was having oil pressure problems. The oilpump pickup screen in the bottom of the oilpan was almost completely plugged with coarse rounded sand such is as found on the beach and around the airstrip at Barrow, Alaska. There were also substantial amounts of the same sand in the bottom of the pan. We were about to inform the authorities when another mechanic working in the bottom of the cargo belly pod found the owners oilcan spout laying half covered in the same type sand. The owner was his own worst enemy.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
During WWII, a saboteur sugared some aviation fuel at an air base. The military used a novel cure - they poured water into the fuel. The water dissolved the sugar, and the sweet water was then drained from the "low point drains" on the base refueling system. Water is heavier than gas, and the low point drains are there for draining condensate water.

·
Premium Member
28,969 Posts
Aviation gasoline was sabotaged with blocks of paraffin by American forces as they retreated from Japanese forces in the Phillipines during WWII . While the fuel was warm the paraffin was undetectable but when the fuel cooled in an aircraft at higher altitudes the paraffin congealed and plugged the filters stopping the engine.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Guys, maybe Im mistaken or didnt read properly. But you are debating the myth of sugar in gas? Youre assuming that someone tampered with his gas, and that they used sugar.

What if they had used diesel? Or bleach? Or acetone? Rubbing alcohol? Could these have caused problems?

The point of all this should be...always use a locking gas cap. Forgetting about tampering for a second...gas is expensive and people steal.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, maybe Im mistaken or didnt read properly. But you are debating the myth of sugar in gas? Youre assuming that someone tampered with his gas, and that they used sugar.

What if they had used diesel? Or bleach? Or acetone? Rubbing alcohol? Could these have caused problems?

The point of all this should be...always use a locking gas cap. Forgetting about tampering for a second...gas is expensive and people steal.
when i started this topic i hoped to hear some positive responses that would make me feel better, ie. " Nahh no one would sugar yo tank chico" instead i get this debate on what kind of sugar they used on me :rant2:
very disturbing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Nahh no one would sugar yo tank chico.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts