Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been putting this off for a couple of months. The old pulley (pictured) still spun smoothly and there was no play in it at all. But once I opened it up you can see that there was hardly any grease under the seals. I added a pic of the seal so any sharp eyes out there could tell me if this was OEM or possibly replaced before I got the car. Regardless it's got a new one installed now and I feel a lot better.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
74,071 Posts
Water pump drive belt tensioner pulley - there are two others on the serpentine belt drive.

Hard to say whether it's original or replaced a while ago. The pulleys (all of them) are sourced from several OEM contractors including Gates, DAYCO, Fafnir, SKF, New Departure, others. All branded "AC Delco". All made all over the world.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,310 Posts
If that seal came off easily with no damage, you could have repacked it with grease, especially since it was smooth with no play.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that seal came off easily with no damage, you could have repacked it with grease, especially since it was smooth with no play.
I was sort of thinking the same thing but since I already had a new one in hand and the cost was minimal... just go ahead and replace it. With all the horror stories you see about these going bad online I figured it was cheap insurance. I'm also carrying around a spare belt in case that ever lets go.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
414 Posts
Thank goodness, suspenders fell out of style--long before Larry King retired.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,310 Posts
I would almost be willing to bet that if you popped the seal on the new one, you won't find too much more grease in it than there was in the old one.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would almost be willing to bet that if you popped the seal on the new one, you won't find too much more grease in it than there was in the old one.
You're probably right. I was actually thinking of taking a look at the new bearings and grease but since I had a new one in--hand I decided to do the quick install and forget about it. If it was a more expensive part I may have opted to retain the old unit and return the new one. I guess I'll have to report back in another 50k miles and let everyone know how they held up.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,667 Posts
I was sort of thinking the same thing but since I already had a new one in hand and the cost was minimal... just go ahead and replace it. With all the horror stories you see about these going bad online I figured it was cheap insurance. I'm also carrying around a spare belt in case that ever lets go.
I ended up replacing mine twice. The first replacement squeaked so I returned it and the new one has been quiet so far.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
538 Posts
Yes, this is the OEM bearing. Some models had an orange colored seal by NTN, but mine was black like yours.

I tried to re-grease my pulley, but the grease just ended up seeping out. Removing the seal deforms it just a little where any new grease will seep out.

I replaced the one on my 2011 DTS at 81K in 2018. It still spun with no play, But there was no grease left inside of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts